problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aramco

Established Member
Reaction score
hi I have two more photos to post one of the finished dragon, and the other of a clock I made for my wife ,from a sue mey pattern.

From I do not know where over the last few weeks I have started to suffer major pins and needles in my neck and left arm and the last two days it has taken hours before I could use my left hand, so I will be giving up scrolling for a long while , might never start again we will have to see. In the mean time I am going to build a new metal stand for my scroll saw in the hope that may help / stop the problem, one way or the other I will let you all know what happens.

John

pain is the best attention getter

Sounds like nerve trapping, I've had similar. There are surgical solutions, but you need to see a neurologist, which I expect you are organising.

not yet for these but am hoping rest may cure the problem.

John

pain is the best attention getter

Probably not, but of course it depends what it is. I had tingling in my fingers a few years ago, saw neurologist and said 'might be nothing but I don't want to come in a couple of years to be told I should have come a couple of years ago'. After some tests, he said that's exactly what he would have said, I had surgery to remove arthritic growths that were trapping the nerve, and have been fine ever since. Don't ignore it even though you're a guy!

already looked into this ,doc gave me some exercises to do ,guess they are not working ,back to the drawing board.

John

Now I had a similar problem. I thought that my guitar playing days were over. It turned out to be due to my arm and hand position when using a laptop. A separate keyboard solved the problem. If yours is a similar cause then changing your seating position and table height/angle could be a solution.

Really sorry to hear that John.

Do be careful,'cos based on my own experience, it could be something, could be nothing.

If the exercises you've been given don't work, then IMO you should go back to the "exercise designer" (Physio? or a Doctor? - my experience is that Physio's are MUCH better) and investigate further.

Also, you are VERY wise to think about your (physical) scrolling set up. You'll need to investigate by trial and error, saw table height and angle, plus your sitting position (height and angle again). As the guitar player above mentioned, this can be a VERY important factor, and my own experience is that only trial and error will get you there - but you will need some time using all the table/chair/standing permutations to evaluate properly.

If none of the above works then sorry, but it's back to the quacks for a more detailed look see.

PLEASE, whatever you do, do NOT leave it too long (like I did) so that due to a long-term back injury (in my case) you end up with polyneuropathy (spell?), with virtually NIL feeling in the feet, inability to stand for longer than an hour, max, NIL reactions from "knee jerk" hammer tests, and an inability to walk in a straight line as soon as the horizon disappears (e.g. dark night; looking up at the sky; etc).

I'm, NOT in any way medically qualified, but from your description something is definitely affecting your nervous system (it may not be in the arms, that's only where it's showing itself), remembering always that IF a nerve degenerates it will take a helluva long time to recover, and left too late, it will NOT regenerate at all.

You've made the right move getting it seen to sharpish, but do NOT stop now if the first treatment and set up positions show no results.

Best of luck mate.

thanks for you comments I do have an appointment with the quack today - Thursday - and will see how it goes from there will keep you all posted as to what transpires .

John

pain is defiantly the best attention getter

saw the doc and she said its muscular and gave me some more exercises and suggested I went and got a massage ???.

John

Ohhh. I must repeat I'm in NO way medically qualified, but when you write "exerciser" was that just a typo/did you mean EXERCISES? If so I suggest you do them, as prescribed (not much fun, but just for example, mine are the only things that keep me at all "mobile").

But still a good idea (IMO) to play around with your scrolling set up (height/angle, etc). If the muscles are complaining there must be a reason and as the guitarist said yesterday, you do NOT want to "drift" into the situation where surgery becomes necessary.

And if, despite doing the exercises and messing about with your scroll set up you get no improvement, go back and see her again would be my advice (mind you, that's easy for me to say, my GP is about 35 , slim, shapely, blue/grey eyes, and with a blonde pony tail, so going to see her is NOT a hardship). :D

Good luck anyway

Latest posts

Back