Whats this drill bit called?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashton691

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking to make my own budgie concaves does anyone know what this drill press bit is called or do you know of a bit that will make a concave in a small piece of wood?

there is a video on you tube called concave1 can anyone help? sorry my account won't let me post a link

I know what Budgie Smugglers are, but I'm stumped on budgie concaves? :(

Mike

Hi there its a piece of wood with a depression in them that go in the boxes so the eggs roll to the middle under the bird, I've attached a pic below
if you goole budgiw concave a pic will come up or if you take a look at the you tube video you'll see one being made. sorry the site won't let me attach any pic's or links for some reason

Trivial job for the lathe. Faceplate & double sided tape or hot melt glue to mount the work.
The bit for making a hollow with the drill press, looked home made. A cutter (scraper?) of that size needs to be strong & requires a light feed rate.

ashton691":2yp9zvhm said:
Hi I'm looking to make my own budgie concaves does anyone know what this drill press bit is called or do you know of a bit that will make a concave in a small piece of wood?

there is a video on you tube called concave1 can anyone help? sorry my account won't let me post a link

Try contacting your local wood turners, most are very helpful and sure they could make a decent job.

ashton691":k8m6qaj4 said:
Hi I'm looking to make my own budgie concaves

are you talking about making a lot for resale, or a small number for yourself?

how big are these things?

I'm guessing you're making many of these, else you'd have just grabbed a gouge and set to?

An alternative router bit could be a "coved upstand" bit: https://www.wealdentool.com/cgi-bin/sh0 ... 30_2d1_2f2

I'm reminded of an Izzy Swan video where he puts a router bit in his drill press to hollow out a spoon (https://youtu.be/bHYl2imCk6g?t=59). It doesn't give a great finish (he goes on to smooth it out in other ways) and I'd say a router will give you much better results in a fraction of the time if you have one. There's always chisels if you're not making 100s of them ;)

Hi All thanks for the reply's i'd be looking to make a couple of hundred every year for myself and a friend just to use in our own boxes as you say Lazurus £3 not to expensive but when you have 200 bird boxes to kit out every year it mounts up, i don't have a lath as of yet so was trying to see what way's you guys suggested to get the effect before i buy tools.

Back