Plasterboard fixings. Anyone used Gripit?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Try to contain your excitement. :roll:
I've got a fairly heavy bathroom mirror/shelf to hang up on to plasterboard. Should have put a stud in there but didn't think that far ahead. Derp.
Came across these while looking for summat else entirely on Axminster. They look a bit tidy I thought.

0AHjO39.jpg

Axi link here: https://www.axminster.co.uk/gripit-15mm ... -25-103846
Gripit website: http://www.gripitfixings.co.uk/
Obviously they are available elsewhere. Delivery cost was the winner for me on this particular occasion. Nudged my delivery to free.

Bit pricey mind but for the right application they look good.
The weight ratings on plasterboard seem very high especially shear load.
I came across some stanley self drill - add screw after types in my plumbing toolbox the other day (where else :| ) and they are rated at 15 kg.

Heres the data for these Gripit thingamibobs.

D6q2wpT.gif

Bit of a difference eh? :shock:

Thought I'd post them up on here to see if anyone has (A) used them/opinions etc and (B) as a heads up to those that haven't.
They are probably old hat to many but it might help someone out.

Cheers
Chris

(ed: to add an image)

Yeah, I looked at those the other day, but didn't buy any because the builders merchant only sold them in excessively large bags. They looked like they'd do a decent job.

Have heard good things but they do require an awfully big hole. Tend to use umbrella fixings myself.

Utter dung in my experience, they rely on a very small screw to unfurl the 'wings' which hold the fitting in place, and I had a fifty percent failure rate with these screws breaking if there was an resistance.

I personally filed then under 'unusable rubbish' after one encounter.

Ahhh. Ok. Maybe not so great then. Thanks for the heads up Setch. Paid for now so will see how I get on. Appreciate you taking the time to reply. If it's too good to be true and all that...

I found the same when I used them, any slight resistance and the screw to splay the wings just disintegrates. Think the screws are made of cheese as they’re so soft. I did however find better success when I used the edges of the forstner bit to clear the void behind the plasterboard before attempting to splay the wings. They are very strong but too much off a faff to fit unless every other fixing has failed or is inappropriate.

I used these to hang a 1800mmx600mm double towel rail on our bathroom wall. Lord knows what that thing weighs but it isn't light - and it's still there! I would have had the same problems with the wing screws if I hadn't done a few experiments first - once you realise that resistance destroys them then you treat them carefully. Apart from destroying the wall and rebuilding it these were virtually the only option I had (too shallow a cavity to use trad cavity fixings). A very strong fixing once installed and will probably even outlast the zombie apocalypse.

I sold fixings in a previous life - often 'inventing' fixings for specific situations from what was available. I would always cover my backside by advising that cavity fixings are only ever as strong as the plasterboard they are fixed into, and that still holds true but I was impressed by the spec on these little doodads (and still sad and nerdy enough to want to get my hands on something new!) to the extent that I was happy to give them a go. Maybe they are a bit too fiddly for tradesmen but if you want something to stay where you put it I would thoroughly recommend them.

Take care out there
Paul

We use them to hang kitchen wall units when we can't find a stud, the lads like them, although they still use the metal screw in fixings for lighter things because they are quicker.

Many thanks all.
Well that's a welcome turnaround in opinion. Gives me a little more optimism I haven't been completely suckered at least.
For my purposes I'm (now) hoping they will be fine. I have the time (and patience) to fiddle about to get them right so hopefully they will be ok after all.
Maybe not the one stop solution to all hanging needs judging by reactions though it seems. I really appreciate people taking the time to lend their experience so thanks as always for making the effort. They should be here next day or so, with any luck I'll have the cabinet up this weekend (among other jobs :roll: ) and will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again fellas.
Best regards
Chris

(Paul: If I'm honest, none of this is about hanging bathroom cabinets, I need a sure fire way of securing Zombie deadfall traps mate. Shhhh! :-$ )

Just a little update after using them yesterday really.
I was bit more careful than I might have been thanks to the warnings and that central bit is definitely a weak spot in the design.
So it was Goldilocks Screwdriver time.

BYQReMr.jpg

Too big.
Too wide.
Too small.
Too hot.

Juuuuuust right.

I can see how they might not be for everyone and they are a bit of a faff. You have to line them up and all that, tap them in fit the screws, yada yada.
Having said that I liked them and will use them again round the house, they worked well overall. Mirror/shelf malarkey is still on the wall this morning. And its a strong fitting no doubt about that. Grand total of 2 fitted mind.
I'm practically a professional bathroom mirror shelf fitter now. :roll:
I'm also tight and I have a bag of them to use up. :wink:

thgTscY.jpg

Thanks again all.
Cheers
Chris

Leaving a drill/tool in a sink where you have just finished a job is just inviting danger.

This would be the point at which not having seen my wife all day, she would appear and ask me if I was going to leave that there?

Ahhh, I think I see the misunderstanding. That's not a sink. Not in the traditional sense of the word. It's An Invention.
The actual sink is out of shot on another wall well away from the mirror in case the mirror falls off the wall. I'm not daft you know.
The truth is I went to buy one of those drill holsters the other day and it was 30 odd quid. Crikey, I thought. I'm not stupid enough to pay that. As I was walking back to the van, the Bathroom store had a sale on. The sink in the picture had a slight chip in it. 25 notes. Booom! I know a bargain when I see one. True, its not quite as light and portable as a holster and I found I had to wear 3 belts and half a roll of duct tape to keep it attached to my hip. It wasn't really working as well I planned so I nipped out and bought that cabinet to go under it. Perfect.
True, by the time I bought wheels the total cost was a little over the price of the holster by about £280 but it really does work very well.
I'm surprised you don't see more professionals doing it tbh. I'm thinking of attaching 4 carjacks to it next so I can use it in conjunction with a very very very small ladder.
Hope that clears things up.

I just thought I would add these into the mix. After years of fighting with various plasterboard fixings I now only use
these. They are brilliant!!

IMG_1262.jpg
IMG_1263.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 199
Thanks Geoff. Good to know for the future and future info.

Back