fingernail bowl gouge and adjustable lamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopCat 32

Established Member
Reaction score
couple of things on my shopping list, 1st is i want a 1/2" fingernail bowl gouge, been looking at the Henry Taylor ellsworth signature gouge and crown Kryo, any thoughts, or what are other turners using, i know its personal preference, but would still like to know, i have a 3/8" sorby fingernail gouge, and cant get on with it, so have kind of written that out , but have a Taylor 3/8" standard superflute which i like.
2nd is a adjustable lamp for hollowforms etc, fed up getting my phone out to use the torch, i know axminster do 1 but seems expensive for what it is, anyone know of a good lamp that would do the job?

Thanks Tim

sorry , i suppose i dident make it clear , its not the grind i cant get on with, i think its the flute on the sorby, i have a Ashley iles 1/4" fingernail bowl gouge i get on with that fine on small stuff, i know its probably me, but i just cant seem to get on with the sorby gouges, i know theirs nothing wrong with them and i have other sorby equipment which is fine,

I use an old adjustable clamp-on desk style lamp. Try looking in charity shops and see what is out of fashion.

TopCat 32":ilcw0vff said:
sorry , i suppose i dident make it clear , its not the grind i cant get on with, i think its the flute on the sorby, i have a Ashley iles 1/4" fingernail bowl gouge i get on with that fine on small stuff, i know its probably me, but i just cant seem to get on with the sorby gouges, i know theirs nothing wrong with them and i have other sorby equipment which is fine,

Would it not be worth going to the local WT club and asking to have a 'play' with one or two owned by others? You may save a fortune if you find it's just a technique thing/other reason? (I hope you don't think I'm teaching you to suck eggs - no insult intended).

RE gouge - advice above is good, try before you buy BUT, we all have grinds we like so trying a gouge and not liking it does not make it a bad tool, perhaps just not ground how you like and you cant really borrow tools and grind an inch or so away seeing what you like!

That said, I do like the HT tools and I have a couple of HS1 superflute tools that are my ‘go to’ large BGs for all agricultural tasks.

Re lights, I’ve got a couple of angle poise desk lamps around the lathe - one mounted on a block on top of the headstock, one of a shelf behind the lathe level with tailstock. However, to your specific Q Ive got probably 6 or 8 small magnetic LED lamps around the workshop now stuck to bandsaws, drill presses and lathe beds that are really excellent, cost less than a fiver and with LEDs seem to last forever.

Example magnetic lamp

This is a round one but the rectangular ones are also really good and perhaps a bit less ‘spotty’. Just search Ebay for magnetic led light and sort by price and you’ll have loads to chose from.

Hope this helps, ask Q if not.

Simon

PS - nice HT BG on ‘bay at moment also:

HT Gouge Here

but make sure you factor in the postage asked for (looks like someone hasn’t twigged ebay charge final value fee on total now not just auction end price!)

gregmcateer":2maujcwh said:
TopCat 32":2maujcwh said:

Would it not be worth going to the local WT club and asking to have a 'play' with one or two owned by others? You may save a fortune if you find it's just a technique thing/other reason? (I hope you don't think I'm teaching you to suck eggs - no insult intended).

Cheers Greg, yes in a club may will ask to try a few diffrent ones on our next hands on day

SVB":wsaaviyr said:
PS - nice HT BG on ‘bay at moment also:

HT Gouge Here

but make sure you factor in the postage asked for (looks like someone hasn’t twigged ebay charge final value fee on total now not just auction end price!)

Cheers Simon, yes i guess no bad chisels, just some suit some turners better than others, i remember being told by the Pro turner i done a course with when i started, he said i was the most right handed left handed turner he had met, so i guess it me being awkward, re the lights that is the sort of thing im after quite small so wont get in the way, and will keep a eye on the HT on ebay
Thanks again

You could try Ikea for lights. I`ve bought anglepoise-type and small adjustable LED lights from there, to illuminate my turning. Various styles to choose from and cheap enough to get covered in dust!

Latest posts

Back