Second hand Festool Kapex120

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyGwyn

Reaction score
I've bought a second hand Festool Kapex 120 from a friend. Its nine years old but I know its only had very light use as it was stored in the UK while he lived in Australia and was only used for making canvas picture stretchers while he was in the UK. He is returning back to Aus after a short time back in the UK so he offered the saw to me at a very good price.

Its fully working and came with the MFT base and extensions. The black painted tops to the support legs for the extensions have some rust but that's the only sign of age.

Is there anything that I need to look at on a saw of this age? Should I get it serviced?

TyGwyn":k302tljf said:
I've bought a second hand Festool Kapex 120 from a friend. Its nine years old but I know its only had very light use as it was stored in the UK while he lived in Australia and was only used for making canvas picture stretchers while he was in the UK. He is returning back to Aus after a short time back in the UK so he offered the saw to me at a very good price.

Its fully working and came with the MFT base and extensions. The black painted tops to the support legs for the extensions have some rust but that's the only sign of age.

Is there anything that I need to look at on a saw of this age? Should I get it serviced?

I'm not sure there there is anything to 'service' on a power tool - it isn't like a car that needs an oil change and brake pad replacement...

I think the carbon brushes can be changed, but you can do that when its needed.

TyGwyn

There shouldn’t be much to do on the Kapex apart from the brushes, the blade which may need sharpening or cleaning and checking and adjusting for accuracy. I have found this manual to be very helpful,

https://www.festoolusa.com/-/media/tts/ ... manual.pdf

Apart from the above, the only thing I have ever done on my Kapex’s is to clean inside the blade guard and re-lube the sliding arm bearings.

Cracking saws.

It is common that a bit of black oil/grease leaves a mark near one of the vents on the back of the Kapex , I am told this is nothing to worry about, just letting you know in case yours does it.

Regarding the brushes Festool use an auto shut off brush so when the brushes get low the tool stops working to avoid damage to the motor, this should be the case with your Kapex.

There is some issue with the blade guard sticking but this is just a build up of dust and resin so no problem if you keep it clean.

Enjoy the Kapex, it is a great saw, accurate and good dust extraction, just the dodgy motors can let them down.

Doug

As Doug said, good extraction but is made better by the bigger diameter hose that Festool sell.
Also worth joining the Festool Owners Group.

Mark.

Back