Any one a plastic bath expert?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flh801978

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
We have a plastic bath which is in excellent condition except for the base which is covered in small patches of grey..
There’s nothing to feel
It looks under the gel coat
Anybody any idea what it is and how to avoid in a new one?

Attachments

• CAE61CE6-1371-4CA7-B655-CFB45749EF20.jpeg
    CAE61CE6-1371-4CA7-B655-CFB45749EF20.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,038
And just to add we dont stand in it other than to get in and out and its been installed about 9 years and only really in the last 3 have these spots started appearing
It was quite expensive when new circa £1200 as I remember

Ian

I'd check underneath the bath to make sure there's nothing nasty happening to the plastic or fibreglass, I had one crack and water dripping out of the kitchen lights below.

Could it be that the gel coat has become porous and water has seeped through and gone mouldy?

I'm not a bath expert (other than using one :) ) but i do have 30yrs of grp experience (mostly making tooling for general grp mouldings, boats, windturbines etc), and i can say that in all that time i've NEVER seen or heard of this before... :shock:

With just your fingertips running lightly over the surface can you feel anything.?
With a tip of a fingernail running lightly over the surface can you feel anything.?
Its difficult to tell from the picture, but choosing one of the larger areas of discolouration try pressing it with your finger and see if it 'gives' under pressure (probably won't, i'm just curious).

I'm sure i'm right in saying that 'fibreglass' baths used to have a gel coat finish when they first came on the market. Nowadays they tend to be an acrylic sheet which is heated then vacuumed into shape, fibreglass is then applied (sprayed) onto the back. This then NEEDS to be consolidated to increase its strength and to eliminate any air pockets. Regardless of cost my only guess is that this has been very poorly done. And as the acrylic can be very thin after the vacuum process, moisture(?) has over time crept back up to the acrylic and mould has set in, hence the dark patches you can see.? Can you easily remove the bath panel and check for any signs of damp/mould to the bottom of the tub.?

Do you know the manufacturer of the bath.? or at least where you bought it. I know you said its been in for 9yrs but it wouldn't hurt to make a few inquiries as to why yours has done it.... could be they've had others too.

Nick

Thanks for that nick
There’s no feel at all to the patches and no give
No damp underneath too
I suppose it could go down the side of the waste fitting (centre drain on this bath) and go between the acrylic and fibreglass and go mouldy.
It was from “the bath store”

flh801978":33h6xi0q said:
Thanks for that nick
There’s no feel at all to the patches and no give
No damp underneath too
I suppose it could go down the side of the waste fitting (centre drain on this bath) and go between the acrylic and fibreglass and go mouldy.
It was from “the bath store”

I think "Bathstore" give lifetime guarantee's so you should be covered. :D

We too have a bath from Bathstore, its a 'double ended one' with central waste, and its been in about the same length of time as yours has.... and yes they have a 'lifetime' guarantee, see here...

https://www.bathstore.com/terms#warranty

scroll down to condition(s) no.12 and you will see that baths are covered for 10yrs.
You WILL need your original purchase receipt. Hope you're like my missus and keeps EVERYTHING :shock:
Even if you are just outside the 10yr term i'd still make an inquiry if i were you.... dont ask, dont get.

Let us know how you get on....

Nick

Edit p.s. any chance of uploading some better/close up pics..?

Well we been having discussions with the bath store we have got the original sales invoice but no mention of guarantees on it
Local shop says new baths now have 10 years warrentee but ones from last year backwards only had 1 !!!
Not sure where to go now

https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-10496

Write a very nice polite letter, very casually mention somewhere that 'oddly, I'm a member of the biggest UK woodworking forum and even though I've asked for help on this issue on there and various other public DIY forums, strangely even the many professionals etc are at a loss as to what could cause this issue or the vagaries of the seemingly changeable guarantee issues' etc ect

Worth a try at least.

(PS: I'm not an expert nor have I used one but I've read enough about them on the internet to think I am. :D )

Talk to your local trading standards office. Its free and you have nothing lose a fair bit to gain.

I would go straight to the top.Have done a quick check and here are the MD details. https://ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-10496 ... 20Director

Write a polite but clear letter addressed to him personally with the usual stuff about getting grief from the missus, don't expect this from a quality product and as you bought from them believing them to be a reputable trustworthy company you invested a considerable sum in this product etc.etc. Don't make it a complaint at this stage, they will categorise it that way anyway just make it look as if you're asking for advice, it goes down better.

Email the letter and attach some good clear photographs and you have every chance of getting it sorted.

I've used this approach on several occasions, only when I had to and had very positive results from companies such as BT and British Airways who are notoriously difficult but get to the people who matter instead of those at the sharp end who don't have the authority to act.

A very recent example has been resolved only 2 days ago when my wife received replacement Hunter Argyll wellies.
Briefly, she bought November 2015 for £60, wore only a few months ( dog walking in a field when wet ) and a welded seam split. They replaced under warranty and the new ones split again last month after even less wear. This time they refused to replace and offered a 50% discount on a purchase but an emailed letter and photos to the CEO and miraculously a new pair were sent out FOC.

Back