better second post :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Collier

Reaction score
after last weeks shenanigans i thought id try something a little smaller that would hopefully not try and kill me, first ever lidded box in oak, amd im pleased to announce that i emerged unscathed :eek:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 638
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 638
Hi Neil,

Glad you back at the lathe and this is a much better outcome!

I really like the way you’ve used the natural colour difference in the wood to great effect in this one. Also the base to lid proportions look spot on to my eye.

Couple of ideas for next time perhaps - I like the decrotive rings round the piece. Sometimes I do a similar feature but use the central ring to mask the join between base and lid. Also, with practice the bead / cone on the finial will get a little ‘crisper’ but no prob.

All in all, a great little box and the above thoughts are offered in the spirit of constructive observation.

THanks for posting,

Simon.

Thanks Simon!! im lucky to live near a sawmill with a well-stocked offcut shed where all the wood goes that people don't want in their nicely cut planks :) its always got some interesting bits in it

A nice looking piece and as SVB stated by doing three decorative lines and using one of them to hide the join. I also think personally that the finial was not needed as the wood is enough to hold interest.
Keep at it and as I stated start slowly and keep it simple until you grasp the basics of tool control it all comes with practice and boy am I still practicing :wink:

Neil Collier":vpubcwfc said:
Thanks Simon!! im lucky to live near a sawmill with a well-stocked offcut shed where all the wood goes that people don't want in their nicely cut planks :) its always got some interesting bits in it

That makes me think of another tip. When making boxes (whether with a woodturner’s pop fit or a lose fit so the lid can be lifted with one hand without the base coming with it) consistent fit is all important.

Therefore, depending on how well seasoned the timber is on the off cut pile (btw - where is this Mecca?) when making boxes if time allows rough out the shape and interval cavity before bringing them inside for a couple of weeks and then finish turn the box. That way, the wood movement which occurs almost no matter how well seasoned the wood is when you pull the centre out so re-distributing internal stresses in the timber, can then be negated when you finish turn the piece.

In this way the fit you get when you finish turn the piece will be much more likely to endure than turning the whole project in one go (really important if you get into thread chasing etc).

Simon

Latest posts

Back