Planer/ thicknesser for £500

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Co1

Established Member
Reaction score
What you recommend in this price range? Because of space, bench mounted is the only realistic option.

Cheers
Col

I would think no more than 200mm max, but even that would be rare. Commonly up to 150mm

Would I be better looking a separate units, or is there nothing really to be gained from that? The bench jointers are small enough to store on a shelf, so I have space for both.

Don't put off three phase machines in your search, I wouldn't want a single phase one as
I'm running my machines on a household 13a plug, a 24 inch bandsaw, and a startrite 275.
I wouldn't be able to start these machines without tripping fuses with single phase, as the startup current is what blows fuses.
I use a VFD, or an inverter for these machines. (a wee, user friendly, smart box of capacitors)
Easy peasy for to hook one up, and for 3HP is only a hundred quid, customisable to suit your
particular situation as you can add more time, say 2 more seconds to ramp up motor to speed.

Check the motor (not machine) nameplate for 240v,
and you will be able to hook a VFD to it, give it no thought if you happen to find the right machine!
you will thank your lucky stars.

Plenty of threads here and folks to help you every step of the way
Good luck whichever type of machine you get

Tom

Has anyone ever made a three phase bench mounted planer thicknesser?

Mike

I have a joinery shop with all 3 phase machines but also a smaller shop next to the house,I purchased a little planer/thicknesser from screwfix which is a cracking little tool for the money,Under £200 and just check the 5 star feedback rating

Titan TTB579PLN 204mm Planer Thicknesser 230V

Any other thoughts? Can I do without a jointer and just spending all the cash on a planer?

A planer relies on one face being flat. If you don't have one face flat, you either need to flatten it by hand plane or by using a jointer.

There are of course work arounds such as leveling the board on a sled with wedges, or skip planing, but none of them come close to using a jointer

Have found a woody hm160 local to me for £200. I don’t know the brand, does anyone have any experience?

Additionally I’ve also found an Axminster bench planer/thicknesser, but it’s a 6 hr round trip to collect. Having looked at both these options and several new ones of the same ilk, they all appear to look very similar, are they all the same thing rebadged, or is there a reason to go for one over the other?

If you are buying second hand you need to ensure you can get spare parts, like the drive belts and blades, IMO if I was buying second hand I would go for the Axminster just because of their after sales service.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Just spoke to Axminster who said they still have spares. They also said that is just a mass produced unit branded for them, so I’m not sure there is any difference apart from cost.

Picked myself up an Elu EPT 1901 today for £100! Needs a bit of restoration but I got all the moving parts moving and lubed and the beds cleaned up today. I think it needs blades, however did a test cut today on some softwood and the finish was great!!

Does anyone know where I would be able to get the dust extract attachments?

Back