A good abrasive?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonzjob":1n1w0ak0 said:
I am trying to find out what is the best abrasive I can get. The best quality and the longest lasting in the field so to speak?

Does anyone know what brand the Aussie cricket team use please? :-" :-" :-"

In those circumstances, you're probably better off choosing your abrasives based on their colour rather than their quality. I suggest you keep clear of bright yellow.

Dibs-h":30dh73o4 said:
I use Abranet - can't beat the stuff. Got the pad for it too and the hose.

I sort of favour Abranet as well. But, do you find that the sheets clog a bit? Not a problem because I just tap them out regularly, but just wondering if it's just me?

phil.p":36arneo0 said:
Dunno .......... I've not used abranet on my balls.

You should try it,
It's a bit like helium if you rub too hard, makes your voice go high pitched and squeaky. :oops:

Skin coloured scotchbrite, just stick it to your hand but make sure it's used upside down. It's especially good for kangaroo balls, makes them bounce.

OK, since we're now concentrating on balls rather than just abrasives (+1 for Abranet BTW), you just "might" be interested to know that there's some very interesting aerodynamics about "rough balls". (but then again, maybe not)!

Although I have absolutely NIL interest in cricket (none at all in golf either), apparently when a ball "flies" through the air, having a roughened surface (or dimples, as per golf balls) interrupts the smooth boundary layer of air flowing over the ball, promoting a rotating (spinning) movement which improves or steadies the trajectory of the ball in flight.

Yeah OK - "we didn't want to know that, kindly leave the stage". :D

AES

Geoff_S":16dt3qd8 said:
Dibs-h":16dt3qd8 said:
I use Abranet - can't beat the stuff. Got the pad for it too and the hose.

I sort of favour Abranet as well. But, do you find that the sheets clog a bit? Not a problem because I just tap them out regularly, but just wondering if it's just me?

Without the vacuum connected, yes they do clog a bit, but like you've found, I pull them off the pad and give then a few taps and good to go again.

Anything with Mirka or 3M on it will be very good.
Abranet is excellent but a little pricey, but the longevity outweighs the cost.

Latest posts

Back