Sore Hoarses MkII - Now with added plans!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like this design, perfect for cutting up sheet goods without any sag and cheap enough to replace once it gets too chewed up.

Does anyone have plans or at least pictures of this - its been hit by the photobucket changes :-(

Hi. I should have these somewhere as I have made them! They are not on my Google drive so I will have a search on the home computer this evening.

Are these the ones?
SheetCuttingTable-Template.jpg

SheetCuttingTable-Parts (1).jpg

SheetCuttingTable-Assembly.jpg

Attachments

• SheetCuttingTable-Assembly.jpg
    SheetCuttingTable-Assembly.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 944
  • SheetCuttingTable-Parts (1).jpg
    SheetCuttingTable-Parts (1).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 943
  • SheetCuttingTable-Template.jpg
    SheetCuttingTable-Template.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 947
Can I make a suggestion?
I made this up and it is absolutely excellent. Better than what I had before and that was pretty good.
But I do have one small criticism of it - the resulting surface is quite low and I'm no longer a tall bloke. I plan to remake these, making the rails 150mm instead of 200. It will still be massively strong and I shall get another couple of inches height out of it.

If I recall Aidan knew the low height was not the best but it did mean that it could be make out of a single sheet of plywood. I only use it for cutting down sheet goods and find the lower height advantageous.

But my point it that if the rails were made a bit less deep, then the legs could be a bit longer. A little bit would make a lot of difference.

Steve Maskery":3gd8kjf8 said:
But my point it that if the rails were made a bit less deep, then the legs could be a bit longer. A little bit would make a lot of difference.

He's not wrong there :D

Shultzy":20vb85l0 said:
I have a revised sketchup plan of the sawhorse and cutting plan if required.

Sorry to open an old thread, but it has all the good info! Any chance you still have the sketchup file for this horse? About to make one this weekend. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helvetica":13ce67nt said:
Shultzy":13ce67nt said:
I have a revised sketchup plan of the sawhorse and cutting plan if required.

Sorry to open an old thread, but it has all the good info! Any chance you still have the sketchup file for this horse? About to make one this weekend. Cheers!

Send me your email address and you can have an early Xmas present.

Love this design by Tiddles! Having chopped up a load of OSB in to small drawer pieces on my current 600mm high sawhorses, my lower back was not impressed. I'm 6'2". So I thought of a simple tweak to bring the overall height to 888mm. The legs use more of the unused material and they are now 900mm, but lie at an angle of 10.6 degrees finish at 888mm. I moved the flat edge to the outside so the legs don't get in the way as you walk around the table.

Screenshot 2018-12-12 09.57.03.png

Screenshot 2018-12-12 09.56.48.png

Screenshot 2018-12-12 10.08.50.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-12-12 09.57.03.png
    Screenshot 2018-12-12 09.57.03.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 779
  • Screenshot 2018-12-12 09.56.48.png
    Screenshot 2018-12-12 09.56.48.png
    343.6 KB · Views: 779
  • Screenshot 2018-12-12 10.08.50.png
    Screenshot 2018-12-12 10.08.50.png
    155.4 KB · Views: 780
Thanks very much Steve! My only qualm is if the extra height makes the legs weaker - maybe a cross member between the legs would help. It could be taken from the height of the rails.

Well I would not need it to be quite that high. I was always very average height, and I've lost over 1½" in the last few years. I think I'll jack mine up a bit to try to work out exactly how high I would like it.
I don't actually think that strength would be the problem, much more likely to be rigidity, I would say. Mine is made from shuttering ply and it does have a certain amount of give in it, so any extra height would exacerbate that, I guess.

Watching this thread over the years is a really interesting opportunity to see other people's views on design. Essentially saw horses are very, very simple things with a set purpose. Now you can add more and more features till they become almost something else, but the fundamentals remain the same and their performance will be substantially driven by those fundamentals and not the extra features. Tweaking the fundamentals a tiny bit can make quite a bit of difference too, as people are finding.

Design doesn't have to mean expensive, complex or complicated. Some of the most impressive designs in human history are in fact free as part of another process, those are the ones I get most excited by, the funny part being that their true value and borderline genius implementation are totally invisible to the people who use them every day.

Back