Are cheap sash cramps worth it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used the record cramp heads with timber bars for many years at home. 2" deep timber for my 3 foot cramps and 3" deep timber for my 5 foot cramps. I found them far lighter and easier to use than the steel bar record I used at work.
I then saw the light and changed to pipe cramps. I have 10 Pony heads and 10 Axi heads on 3" and 5" 3/4 diameter galvanised pipe. I also have a few spare lengths of long pipe and some joiners for the odd big job. They are great and I could not see myself returning to sash cramps. Our American friends who seem to buy these as the norm have this time come up trumps.

Colin

So what do pipe clamps offer that steel Record and cramp heads don't? Thanks

Beau":1eissjyx said:
Rigidity. Pipe clamps don't flex, allowing you to apply huge clamping pressure. You can also gang multiple pipes together if you buy the right ones, allowing you to extend the clamp capacity

MattRoberts":265mk549 said:
Beau":265mk549 said:
Rigidity. Pipe clamps don't flex, allowing you to apply huge clamping pressure. You can also gang multiple pipes together if you buy the right ones, allowing you to extend the clamp capacity

Not had problem with lack of rigidity with cramp heads on a 2x1 batten and they are easy to extend as if you drill holes for the heads accurately you can bolt two of them together to extend them. If you need huge presure your joints dont fit! Never been a fan of steel shafted clamps having had blue staining with them touching PVA during drying but obviously this can avoided but nice not having to worry about it. The wooden cramps sit upright without any hassle which cant be said of the few metal ones I have tried but the ones the OP links to have the benefits of no staining as they are aly and will sit on edge due to being made of box section.

Not knocking metal cramps just not been convinced yet :D
I do have two and rarely use them due to their excessive weight.

Latest posts

Back