5 X 4 FOOT TRAILER

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
who's up on the law regarding towing a small trailer in my case a 5 x 4 trailer ??
I took the trailer to the garage this morning with a slow puncture and when i when't to collect the trailer the owner of the garage who i know came out for a chat regarding the trailer .
Any way he tell's me that the trailer as to be braked and that the wheel's i have on the trailer are car wheels and that's breaking the law .they need to be trailer wheels and if i get stopped by the police i will have 3 point's for 1 and 6 points for the other have you heard this before ????? Alan

If the trailer is rated at below 750kg, then it doesn't have to be braked. The garage means the tyres, not the wheels. trailer tyres are 8 ply rather than 6 on car tyres. the law won't care what's on it, but, if there is an accident, then your insurance may take a dim view of it. You have told your insurance company that you have a towbar haven't you? as that is classed as a modification.

bourbon":q22n99c4 said:
If the trailer is rated at below 750kg, then it doesn't have to be braked.
Does that not depend on the maximum unbraked weight specification of your particular vehicle?

bourbon":q22n99c4 said:
You have told your insurance company that you have a towbar haven't you? as that is classed as a modification.
Even if fitted as factory standard?
I asked about our cars (one fitted, one merely in the kit for self-attachment) and Admiral didn't give a toss where it came from, even aftermarket, as it's not of concern to them so long as it's properly fitted and you're towing in full compliance with the law.

If brakes are fitted they have to work (afaik) - if the trailer is built with a car axle it will probably have brake parts still on it, so yes, they would expect working brakes. You might then get away with removing all traces of them, I'm not sure.

Any trailer under 750kg gross weight doesn't have to be braked - BUT, if the towing vehicle is a particularly small or light one then there is a restriction on the maximum unbraked load it can pull, which is half of the towing vehicle's kerbweight (or 750kg, whichever is the lowest figure).

There are other rules about any trailer built since 1982 having to display their Gross Weight in kg, and unbraked trailers built since 1997 must show the year of manufacture.

But basically, if your 5' by 4' trailer does show a Gross Weight of 750kg and you stick to that when loading it, or it was built earlier and you stick to maximum 750kg when loaded, unbraked is absolutely legal.

What the others said so get the brakes working or remove them but I suggest you get the trailer on to a weighbridge first as you might be surprised at how heavy it is. Then stick a plate on the A frame.

The only point I would pick up on is the difference between car and trailer wheels and tyres:

Wheels are often different and purpose made especially for heavier trailers / caravans as they carry weight on 2 or 4 close coupled wheels unlike a car where the load is spread more evenly. Small trailers often have 8 or 10" wheels with special tyres.

Otherwise trailers / caravans can use standard car or van tyres and the same rules regarding inflation, damage, minimum tread and not mixing different types on the same axle apply.
As an example, my Ifor Williams twin axle trailer takes standard commercial 165 x 65 R13 tyres while my caravan runs on R14

You should also cover tyres when standing for long periods and cover from uv degradation if possible, move the trailer occasionally so it's not parked on the same tyre spot all the time ( I put a chalk mark on the tyres so I know ) and I put a tyre treatment on occasionally to protect.

There is a recommendation to change tyres between 5 - 7 years but I don't think that's law.

Back