Painted hallway furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
A recent installation.

bjXx5V4.jpg

a0E0ecy.jpg

JN71gvE.jpg

Very nice, I especially like the "X" shape panelling on the doors; loads of interest and novelty without being silly or tacky.

Is it a spray finish and if so do you do it in house?

Thanks Custard, this is hand painted.
We have a 1100 sq ft spray shop with a full time sprayer attached to the workshop. Most of our stuff is sent out with two sprayed coats of primer and a colour on top, then hand painted on site. However we do contract spraying as well often as a top coated finish.
Personally I prefer a hand painted finish on traditional furniture.

Very nice, the X's really lift it, and the knobs are in the right place despite being in the wrong place if you know what I mean, lol!

Doug

What a strange space to have available - what was there before ? I too like the X detail, and the chunky look of the shelves. I'm still struggling with the grey stretch of skirting board underneath it though, is is just me who'd prefer it to continue in white ? Or is there an obvious discontinuity that I'm not seeing in the photo that suggests the change ?

I like the grey skirting, makes it look like a piece of furniture.

I did a large built in for a customer, was about 4.5m long, wall to wall and floor to ceiling, housed the tv in middle and bookshelves either side. The skirting and coving round the room continued across the front of the unit. The unit was painted grey but the coving and skirting were painted white to match the rest, I thought it looked terrible and suggested the coving and skirting on the unit should be grey but the customer thought that would look odd. I was gutted because in my opinion the white really spoilt the whole look but it was the their choice.

Doug

Often the customer asks for the white skirting to continue, not once have they liked it. We always have to remove and spray it the furniture colour. It don't look good Sheffield Tony!!!

This sounds like one of those things that would involve a debate with my wife, with the result that I do whatever she decides :lol: Fashion has long since left me behind, and so I'm used to having unusual tastes. So whatever the customers want I guess. (But I'd still either leave the skirting off that stretch so that it is visually part of the furniture, or paint it white.)

Sheffield Tony":11w3en9s said:
This sounds like one of those things that would involve a debate with my wife, with the result that I do whatever she decides :lol: Fashion has long since left me behind, and so I'm used to having unusual tastes. So whatever the customers want I guess. (But I'd still either leave the skirting off that stretch so that it is visually part of the furniture, or paint it white.)

I've had those debates. I find offering my wife the brush and saying "Feel free" tends to get me my way 8)

I too like the crosses, really lifts the whole piece.

Personally Bob. I think the skirting is mustard.
But I'm going to have to ask you to stop. Every time you post stuff up it makes me feel two things if I'm honest.
'Poor' and 'Poor and inadequate'.

Oh go on then. Inspiration is always good and you never know, if I actually ever buy a ticket I might even win the lottery.
As always Bob. Beautiful work. =D> Never a chore.
I still lie awake at night fairly bloody regularly if I'm honest doing the sums to see if I could come and work for you as a 42 year old apprentice with a mortgage and two kids to do a job I would enjoy.
Cheers
Chris

Very kind words thank you.
We really have been getting some great projects for the last few years. Really good staff at the moment as well which makes an enormous difference.
Things are mental busy, we usually have 5-6 different kitchens / projects on the go at once. Never been this busy with all good projects.

Geoff_S":3s9c0iju said:
I find offering my wife the brush and saying "Feel free" tends to get me my way
All that approach gets me is having to make my own dinner and a spell in the huffy bed. :roll:

I love the effect of that unit Bob especially the X on the doors, nice detail and the grey skirting.

I really like the grey skirting
It just works with the overall appearance and that X really shows that there was a lot of thought in the design process
I have just had my paintwork re-done in grey
I really like the contrast
just wish I hadn't gone for a satin finish as it seems to chip \ mark just by looking at it
so would be interested if you would be kind enough to share your paint finish....please

Steve

Really like this, the finish looks great. When you say hand painted, do you mean with a spray gun or brush? If it’s the latter, what techniques do you use to get the best finish?

Thanks
Col

Back