Any clever ideas for this clamp head?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
Spotted a the car boot, only the adjustable part, chap didn't seem to know there was a part missing :roll:
Anyway, cost me the princely sum of £1. I figured it would be easy to make a simple fixed stop so I could use it in it's intended manner but before I do that, does anyone have any clever ideas for other uses? I thought about doing a version of those vertias wonder dogs, where I could use it on the bench, but that would require chopping it up, don't really want to rush into that.

Attachments

• IMG_20180326_094136.jpg
    IMG_20180326_094136.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 810
The colour and overall look is very similar to my Parmo set, if you want to go looking for its other half

AndyT":1vw93fgn said:
Have a look at this thread.

how-to-make-your-own-wooden-sash-cramps-t103631.html

Take your pick of the designs for the adjustable position stop and use your new one for the fixed end.

Thanks for that. If I do just attach it to some wood to make a clamp I will likely just use this as the adjustable part and make a simple fixed head just using a block and some screws.

I hope this doesn't come across as 'clever' in a smart-alec sense, because it isn't intended - but could you search out another adjustable cramp head to match the £1 one? I suggest this because one cramp on it'd own is not often of much use, a pair - or better still a set of four - is much more useful.

Rorschach":je97ddwj said:
Thanks for that. If I do just attach it to some wood to make a clamp I will likely just use this as the adjustable part and make a simple fixed head just using a block and some screws.

That would work, but you'd end up tightening or loosening it half a turn at a time, as the tommy bar on the screw thread would foul the long wooden beam if it's not at the end of it.

Yes that's true, but it's only held on with the pin so it's easy to pull the pin, adjust it as close as possible and then put the pin back in and do the last turn or so.

Do a eBay search for Cramp head and save the search, then eventually one will come up, I had one running for years for a teaspoon to replace one we lost in our best cutlery set.

Pete

Cheshirechappie":2bdsf9ck said:
I hope this doesn't come across as 'clever' in a smart-alec sense, because it isn't intended - but could you search out another adjustable cramp head to match the £1 one? I suggest this because one cramp on it'd own is not often of much use, a pair - or better still a set of four - is much more useful.

Not at all smart alec. I will keep an eye out at the car boots for a fixed head, I do have another "complete" cramp of this style so I will have a pair, I also like most people have a bit hodge podge of clamps in varying sizes. I would like to get more of this type though because they are so versatile, my other long clamps are 1000mm F-clamps, which are superb but they are so awkward to store and handle, I think 4ft sash clamps would be the same. With these I can make them as long as I need using scraps of wood.

AndyT":1hud2nsz said:
That would work, but you'd end up tightening or loosening it half a turn at a time, as the tommy bar on the screw thread would foul the long wooden beam if it's not at the end of it.
I have a clamp exactly the same as this. It was in the tools I inherited from my father and was unused for years until I recently needed and (amazingly!) remembered it. Without even thinking about it I used the screwed end as the adjustable end and had exactly the problem you describe. Worse, it took a while before it occurred to me to change that. OK, colour me stupid.

Axminster used to sell very similar ones, and I have a pair like that, too, although mine aren't from them.

It might be worth asking Bristol Design if they have an odd end (they often buy job lots of old tools). But I like the idea of using it against a set of dogs, as a planing stop, etc.

Probably obvious, but the hole for the pin goes at the bottom of the diagonal slot, furthest from the actual screw, so that it snugs down onto the wooden bar as you tighten it. My set has a pilot hole provided (an extra hole in the casting), but I haven't seen any others to that design.

Back