Lathe Upgrade Brand Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewbell100

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a Record Power DML18 on 24 inch bars mounted to a really heavy old bench.

I mainly turn bowls from logs and have been turning for around 6 months. I love it and would like something mor substantial. I was given a great deal by a friend on an Axminster SK114 which is 16 tpi and would like to keep it.

My preference is buying second hand, but I have an Axminster nearby.

What I would like is an idea of which brands to avoid and which to pay more for. As I know specific lathes are hard to find second hand. I am familiar with many tool brands and teach DT in a school. However the lathe brands are slightly different and some very old.

I have got loads of space, would like variable speed, although I don’t actually mind changing the belt on my DML. The main issue is that it stalls a lot when roughing out large bowls and I would like something higher powered with cast iron bed: either with or without legs.

Thanks for any help
Andrew

If you do large work variable speed is desirable, not because the speed change is easier but because you can keep stuff in balance. E.g. you might find something out of balance at 400rpm and 800 rpm (two fixed speeds.e.g.) but perfectly balanced at 550rpm .......... then three cuts later it might be out but back in perfect balance at 650rpm - and so on. Sometimes it's only a tweak on the speed that's enough. A slight tweak can help prevent any strobing, as well. You won't go back once you've had it.

That's great thanks. I wasn't aware of that. How can i ensure the lathe does not stall on light to moderate cuts? Is this literally a motor issue? It seems it is just the bet that slips on my lathe.

VB36 I used my trusty Axi Ml900 for 20 years, eventually saved and got the VB green monster, its quirky but what a machine, will turn up to 5`9" with the long bed removed and is a smooth and stable as you will get. The downside is they are expensive (too expensive new) and a rarity second hand, the chuck fitting is a unique bayonet fitting, and ingenuity is required to fit after market jigs, but I have a sphere jig, lyle Jamieson deep hollowing jig so it can be done.

Sounds pricey, yeah. I am looking at £500 second hand as an idea. Just an idea of which brands to go for or avoid. SIP for example seem quite cheap

I got a secondhand Union Graduate on eBay 3 years ago for £350, which was lucky. However, they often go for less than £500, and I can recommend them.

I would avoid any of the Chinese type the better Axi lathes, any of the older established brands, a graduate would "do you proud" cant help on the threads but are very popular and easy to get parts and accessories for. If you already have chucks etc just an adaptor back plate will do.

I have a Union Graduate which I am very happy with but the main disadvantage is they are very heavy, so a pain to get transported and into place. The significant weight is however very handy for out of balance logs, the lathe stays very still if placed on a flat surface. If you are looking at older vintage machines also consider the smaller Union Jubilee and the Viceroy wood lathes.

Yeah, the ML8 does not have anywhere near enough swing over the bed. I am interested in the graduate. The weight may be a pain but i suppose could be dealt with. They seem to be more around the £700-£800 mark which is pretty pricey.

I would have thought that the logical upgrade from a DML18 would be a CL4.
You would be able to use all the equipment you have for the DML. Without a stand I would think you could get one within your budget or slightly more with a stand.
Have just sold one with outboard turning attachment and stand for £650

Fred Taylor
orchard-woodturners.org.uk

I'm also in this particular market. The more i think about it the more i want a graduate! not to hijack the thread but...

anyone know how easy it would be to add variable speed to a single phase graduate?

many thanks

Joe

Single phase motors don't work properly with a VFD (variable frequency drive) so you would need to change it for a 3 phase motor. I upgraded my Graduate 3 phase to variable speed, you can buy a kit that does everything, or buy the VFD unit and work out the controls and settings yourself. Be prepared for at least a whole weekend to get it sorted though.

Out of curiosity I connected a single phase motor to a vfd once, it does change the speed and allows faster than the standard speed, but when about 70% of the normal rpm the motor runs roughly and has no torque, almost no use for woodturning.

The Graduate is really nice to use, but accessories are a little more expensive than for more common spindle threads. Don't plan to move house in the near future!

I don’t plan a house move for the next 30 years and have a level access garage from the street and small van based car so the graduate sounds good. I like the idea of the CL4 too and the use of the same bits.

Does the CL4 have 4 pulleys and variable speeds on each pulley?

Graduate drawbacks:
Lots of people seem to think they are too low. It doesn't bother me, but I'm not a giant!
Ummm.. can't think of anything else! I had a ML8 before the Graduate, and would never go back. The toolrest arm for bowl turning is aluminium and very bouncy.
I haven't converted the graduate to variable speed but there are kits on eBay for about £450.

Good point about the height, they were aimed at school use and are too low for alot of people, so you may need to place it on wooden blocks.

Well a graduate single phase has come up near me for £600. It is either this or go for something along the lines of the Axminster awsl1000 £450 lathe. This has variable speed and cheaper to get bits for. Can just by a converter for the thread for now.

Back