Advice sought on cutting burr for turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
I picked this up today, and am not sure what to do with it. I've seen some guides online for how to cut logs for turning but not a burr.
_MG_7100.jpg

_MG_7098.jpg

Could I cut it along the length (parallel to the tape measure in the first photo, heading vertically toward the camera) and get two smaller live edge bowls from it? Or should it be turned as a whole? Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• _MG_7100.jpg
    _MG_7100.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 698
  • _MG_7098.jpg
    _MG_7098.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 698
In my experience you cannot predict what will be inside the burl, it could have some hollow spaces inside, so it is difficult to know how best to make use of it. Based on its dimensions it does look like you could get two small bowls out of it. Make sure it is held securely though, bits can break off without warning.

Does it have a nice pattern on the cut sides?

Burrs are not the easiest things to decide on what to make from them even more so when you see pictures. I would need to see it in person before I could really give an opinion on what would be the best way to cut/turn this piece.

minilathe22":41m2lhl9 said:
Does it have a nice pattern on the cut sides?
I quickly took a belt sander over both cut faces this morning, and wet it a bit with water. It looks to me like the best bit's toward the left in the top photo:
_MG_7150.jpg

_MG_7148.jpg

but as you both say, it's hard to know what's inside.

Dalboy":41m2lhl9 said:
Burrs are not the easiest things to decide on what to make from them even more so when you see pictures. I would need to see it in person before I could really give an opinion on what would be the best way to cut/turn this piece.
When I looked at the first photos, I was amazed at how little info they give - not just because you can't see inside, but they tell so little about the overall shape and orientation of anything. These last 2 aren't really any better, it just looks like a big amorphous blob to my eye!

Attachments

• _MG_7150.jpg
    _MG_7150.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 482
  • _MG_7148.jpg
    _MG_7148.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 482
Back