The Tower

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys I had not thought of magnets but on reflection, with the rod it will hold the piece in one orientation which magnets would not.

Trying to work on the eye at the moment and just not happy with the results after three attempts

It's looking good Derek, a bit of texturing or pyro with some colour on your eye and it will well stand out.
You do know that when you have finished making it your going to have hawks in your garden worshiping it. Les

Walnut Les":1vsl0i3f said:
It's looking good Derek, a bit of texturing or pyro with some colour on your eye and it will well stand out.
You do know that when you have finished making it your going to have hawks in your garden worshiping it. Les

Thanks Les hopefully it will be finished for the next club meeting so you will be able to see it, that is if I can get the eye finished and I like the idea of texture added to it.

I've been following this bit of art with great interest and am looking forward to the grand reveal. Just as a mental exercise I have also been considering how I would go about it myself if I had your skills. I think if there were a way to give the tower and eye some light source (say LED with some fibre optic filaments ) a very eerie effect could be achieved. The strands of fibre might even be a fine fixing method for suspending the eye. I have no idea as to how it could all be brought together :oops: , but you are so much cleverer than I with this sort of thing maybe you can come up with the method that eludes me.
Mike.

Thank you Mike, I have spent the day on and off, on the eye part trying different things at the moment just to get the look that is just right. The rest of the day has been spent cutting and sizing some wood for a Fire truck build which is for an article.
The eye may take two or three days. I did think about lighting it up and did have a couple of ideas how to do it but have decided against it

Well the eye has now done which took quite a few tries to get it to something that I like, Now it is onto fixing it in place so that I can complete the wooden bungs and blend them to the outside texture.
DSCF9277 (800x588).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF9277 (800x588).jpg
    DSCF9277 (800x588).jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 404
I've really enjoyed watching the progress of this, Derek. Lovely design and shapes and great textures!

Thank you guys getting near the end, not that much more to do so there may not be anymore photo's until it is finished as I am working on another model this time an American fire truck.

Dalboy":1ssid5wo said:
Thanks guys I had not thought of magnets but on reflection, with the rod it will hold the piece in one orientation which magnets would not.
It might be possible to fix the orientation by using 3 magnets - one in the left (say) and 2 on the right - This might prove to be a little 'ugly' though since the magnets would have to be visible on each side of one of the taller 'points'. It might be better to just use 2 and add a bias weight to the point you want to be lowest and let gravity deal with it.

On reflection, the third magnet could be at the bottom. . . . . . food for thought at least.

Back