What type of gouges?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenk4563

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a few lathe tools recently, but I'm unsure as to all of their correct usage. I'm pretty sure the one on the far left is a spindle gouge, but not sure if the other two are for spindles or bowls.

27025814888_0f99c8b72d_b.jpg

General rule of thumb : shallow flute for spindle, deep flute for bowl.
The two on the left are spindle, although as already pointed out the middle one could be used as a roughing gouge as they use on the continent, & the one on the right is a bowl gouge with a conventional grind, ie straight across rather than swept back wings.

So could I regrind the one on the right to have swept back wings? I wasn't sure as it has quite wide flats on the top.

What is the width across the top of the right hand gouge, and is it carbon steel or HSS.

Is the whole shank round or does it have a Tang in the Handle.

It looks more like a stiff Spindle Roughing gouge to me.

The two on the left are spindle gouges and the one on the right looks like a bowl gouge. I don't think the one in the middle is a roughing gouge - probably just an old style forged gouge.
It looks very likely that the two on the right are high carbon steel. Not sure about the one on the left but you can easily test that by seeing what colour sparks you get off the grinder.

The middle one is like a continental pattern spindle gouge - the large ones are fine for roughing with the wings taken back a little, obviously they will catch quite quickly if left dead square. The one on the right looks like an old "long and strong" bowl gouge.

Back