Best plane for a woman.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D_W":z3s4gh5e said:
John Brown":z3s4gh5e said:
D_W":z3s4gh5e said:
He does have quite an effect on used tool prices. Used to be referred to as the Schwarz effect, but now there are a few gurus and any of them can inflict serious damage.

Do you have any evidence for that?

Even if true, there's a chance those tools get used for woodwork, rather than joining collections.

I have no vested interest here, but I don't understand how a question about planes for women has morphed into a Paul Sellers bashing fest.

router planes.

I can recall Chris Schwarz before paul doing the same with miter boxes (OK, I'll admit I read little of Chris Schwarz, so I don't know what else he might've tripped - but the miter box effect was spectacular. Boxes too large to be considered worth shipping were going for $275 within a week or two after he described them as being indispensable, or whatever terminology he used).

Thanks to paul (I'll give him credit on this one), i was able to buy a millers falls router a decade ago for about $25 or $40 or something (can't remember the exact figure) and re-sell a couple of weeks ago for $85.
Correlation rather than causation. But, if you're right, then it's probably just a matter of time before they all end up back on eBay, as the buyers' flash-in-the-pan woodworking enthusiasm wanes.

Still has buzz all to do with the original question...

John Brown":2o5oratx said:
Do you have any evidence for that?
Sellers has remarked on it in his own blog, about how prices of certain often seem to jump very soon after he blogs about the very same tools.

But if in doubt - Tell me, how much was a 4-piece set of Powerfix chisels from Lidl, this year? £8, right?

Well....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerfix-4-c ... SwfjRaCJC0

Even if true, there's a chance those tools get used for woodwork, rather than joining collections.
Which is fine.
The only gripe is from new woodworkers who hear from Sellers that you can get XYZ tool on Ebay for £20-35, only to find an extra zero creeping in, following that blog.

I don't understand how a question about planes for women has morphed into a Paul Sellers bashing fest.
Just what happens in the normal conversation.
Probably my fault, as I mentioned Sellers and his blogs on some of his female students in the original context of the thread.

Mr T":2o5oratx said:
My holier than thou comment was meant in a none religious way, if that's possible. I did not know that Paul had strong religious convictions.
He has, although he rarely refers to it directly. I think the best was talking about his own woodworking mentors, where he mentions his biggest one was the son of a carpenter from Nazareth.

He does mention a LOT that this is what he's done for 50 years, all throughout his career, from back when he apprenticed under men who were as old as 80 at that time, using tools that will last a lifetime of REAL woodworking, etc.... But while he does also mention it, he perhaps needs to mention more often that this is just the method he teaches.
He's also said he has many different approaches and methods from which he might choose, but that he sticks to a very limited set throughout his videos for consistency in teaching - Might be he needs to start showing some more of these other ones...

Chip shop":2o5oratx said:
I would have thought the best plane for a woman would be pretty much the same as the best plane for a bloke.
That's my thinking as well.
Kinda like how both genders can drive the same car, but you just need to alter the setup to fit.

D_W":2o5oratx said:
Curious which people think is harder, wielding a plane or coordinating a glue-up.
Glue-up.
I put that down to experience at this point, though. Too many boards at once, not moving fast enough to level everything before the glue starts to set, general mistakes like that.

John Brown":31l5y80i said:
Correlation rather than causation. But, if you're right, then it's probably just a matter of time before they all end up back on eBay, as the buyers' flash-in-the-pan woodworking enthusiasm wanes.

Still has buzz all to do with the original question...

I'll bet a lot of them end up on shelves and stay there. Most of the guys around here who don't participate in forums are a black hole for tools - they talk about selling them, but never actually do it (they don't use their guru-recommended tools, either).

D_W":n9ho5nhd said:
Curious which people think is harder, wielding a plane or coordinating a glue-up.
ow

Glue-ups are loads harder. It's funny that it doesn't get discussed much here. There are endless conversations about planning and cutting joints, things that I rarely have any issue with, but I hardly ever glue anything together without stress. Today I glued up a new workbench for engine work at 10.15, with a dentist appointment at 11, nice and simple, what could go wrong (note to self-get the clamps set and the bench and table completely clear and the big copper hammer ready just in case, next time, next time)

Paddy Roxburgh":xaworzoy said:
D_W":xaworzoy said:
ow

Glue-ups are loads harder. It's funny that it doesn't get discussed much here. There are endless conversations about planning and cutting joints, things that I rarely have any issue with, but I hardly ever glue anything together without stress. Today I glued up a new workbench for engine work at 10.15, with a dentist appointment at 11, nice and simple, what could go wrong (note to self-get the clamps set and the bench and table completely clear and the big copper hammer ready just in case, next time, next time)

That's pushing it a bit clamping up a bench in 15 min. I trust you'd done a dry run first! I occasionally have students on my evening class decide to glue up at the last minute and it all goes wrong, finding they had not done a dry run we are still there 30 min after the class should end. A dry run should mean your bench is clear, the clamps are set up to the right length and ready to go and, of course, you know it will go together cleanly.

As a reminder of the original question, women don't have problems with clamps :)

Chris

Mr T":2e0omt1k said:
Paddy Roxburgh":2e0omt1k said:
D_W":2e0omt1k said:
ow

That's pushing it a bit clamping up a bench in 15 min. I trust you'd done a dry run first! I occasionally have students on my evening class decide to glue up at the last minute and it all goes wrong, finding they had not done a dry run we are still there 30 min after the class should end. A dry run should mean your bench is clear, the clamps are set up to the right length and ready to go and, of course, you know it will go together cleanly.

As a reminder of the original question, women don't have problems with clamps :)

Chris
I had about 35 mins and was only doing the short sides of the aprons, it was three pieces per side (the longer side was already done the night before). I really do know about getting ready, I was just being slap dash as it is a bench for the workshop made of 4x2 that will get covered in oil etc.
I did get it together and was only 5 mins late for dentist, but a few curse words were uttered.

To tie this in with the actual question of the thread, my limited experience of working with women (there's a woman welder who works here occasionally and I sometimes make things with my girlfriend and my ex wife makes clothes for a living) is that they are better at organisation/ tidiness than myself and the men I've worked with. If it is possible to expand this tiny sample to the population at large I'm not sure, but even if it is, I suspect it is more to do with acquired skills due to societal gender roles than any actual physiological/ mental differences.

Just normal planes with plenty of practice. If a person is of a smaller frame then I would think a #3 and #5 should be a fine starting point.

Six pages, and counting, of drivel on what planes might be best for a female cabinetmaker? A new low. I'll spare myself and assume that somewhere in there is a bunch of rubbish about cap iron settings for women.

CStanford":o7be7n93 said:
Six pages, and counting, of drivel on what planes might be best for a female cabinetmaker? A new low. I'll spare myself and assume that somewhere in there is a bunch of rubbish about cap iron settings for women.
Hey don't sit on the fence - tell us what you really think...:)

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Mr T":1gl0umum said:
But some do experience considerable problems with cramps..... :wink:

Back