Forum changes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simple question leave as is or change back

• Like the new layout leave it how it is

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Dislike new layout change it back

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Rather than just moaning about it why not just vote and then leave it to the powers that be decide what they want.

Do not use this to start an argument or a debate

I would have liked a option for less dramatic changes.

Pete

I wasn't aware the place was a democracy?

And as Charley has said - changes had to be made because the old platform wasn't going to be supported anymore - so regardless of the outcome this vote wont matter.

It's owned and managed by an individual and we use it for free.
Sure he would probably prefer that the users were happy and traffic volumes were high.
Yes, we'd probably prefer that there was better communication about changes before they happen.

Life ain't perfect.

Frankly the behaviour of some members of this forum about change has been like watching petulant children in the school playground. The language and tone used has, by some - and I emphasise some - members been insulting, patronising and accusing.

It's been rather pathetic.

One of the common "complaints" is that the changes are dumbing down. Yet the behaviour on display suggests some members are doing more to drag the forum away from a community and towards their own private Daily Mail letters page than the owner ever could.

There have been some issues, sure. Many of them have been resolved. Some people have genuinely had problems and required help and for the most part have received it from the owner, mods or one or two other interested bystanders.

There has been a fair bit said about what might drive people away from the forum and a number of judgements made on behalf of the world at large. My personal experience here has been that the single thing most likely to drive ME away is the continued childish, petulant, snide comments being made over every tiny minor thing like its the end of the world. Or even matters!

Debate is healthy. Expressing an opinion or view i equally healthy. But the immediate assumption that "someone somewhere" is cheating/lying/stealing/incompetent/doesn't care/deliberately making your life worse, is not debate. It's an attempt to belittle without any interest in understanding.

To the majority of the forum community which has been helpful, polite and generally positive my apologies for the rant.

Frankly I'm waiting for Dave Gorman to show up and do one of his poems about the "Bottom Half of the Internet." (cultural reference here to this guy in case you aren't aware of him ... https://youtu.be/6g-XOSsSsmM)

Appreciate the effort Derek but its not going to change back. Software moves on at a rate and the old version was well past its prime and overdue a renewal. (There were just as many naysayers complaining about how out of date the old software was and asking when was it going to updated?)
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

IF someone has a genuine concern about the forum please put a (need I say polite?) post in the 'Site Updates, News, Errors, Comments and Suggestions' forum, where its more likely to be seen by Charley (admin), the only person that can do anything about addressing your issues.

Please also bear in mind that Charley has a life, a family and a job and does the required works to this site as and when he has time.
The main change has been made, its not going back.
Tweaking and addressing subsequent layout and formatting issues is ongoing. I strongly doubt admin has the time to read every post in every sub forum referring to the new layout. Put your grievances, gribbles and gripes in the relevant place and they may well be addressed.

Thank you

O/k changes had to be made to a new platform, but the latest layout I don't think is the best.
I know its Charley's forum but we are his customers and if we leave in droves what's left?

Pete

nev":22gmfbeu said:
.............IF someone has a genuine concern about the forum please put a (need I say polite?) post in the 'Site Updates, News, Errors, Comments and Suggestions' forum, ...................
Thank you

Any chance of a Mod responding to the query and error I posted in 'Site Updates, News, Errors, Comments and Suggestions' a couple of days ago?

Brandlin":10tame3z said:
Might I respectively suggest you reach behind you and gently pull your underwear out of the crack of your buttocks? It appears to be causing you some discomfort :D :D

Ah , - Dave Gorman - a genuinely funny man.

stuartpaul":3l49ow6r said:
Brandlin":3l49ow6r said:
Might I respectively suggest you reach behind you and gently pull your underwear out of the crack of your buttocks? It appears to be causing you some discomfort :D :D

Ah , - Dave Gorman - a genuinely funny man.

Happy to staurtpaul :) But i feel every now and again that a bit of balance against those who continue to carp and whine without any understanding is in order.

Have you seen "The GoogleWhack Adventure"?

For me, having been a very active member, the forum changes have caused me to pretty much stop visiting. It has actually lost practical functionality as more clicks are required.

Once members are driven away, it's hard to get them back.

AJB Temple":3auytlv4 said:
For me, having been a very active member, the forum changes have caused me to pretty much stop visiting. It has actually lost practical functionality as more clicks are required.

Once members are driven away, it's hard to get them back.

Can you explain in what way more clicks are required, what method are you using to access areas of interest.

I personally open up the forum with a few links like this :- .. Turning
Or this for all new posts that I have not read:- .. New Posts ... that take me straight to an area of interest.

Yes, my navigation method is click on bookmark.
Turn down brightness as screen is much to bright with all the light space
Click Forum
Click view unread posts
Scroll - as the numerous header elements take up a lot of space

I think the loss of thanked etc functionality (or at least readily available - have not bothered to search) means identifying useful people / posts is less easy.

The site has a vast amount of white space. which for me makes navigation tedious. If I find things tedious or slow - I just stop visiting.

The site has actually been removed from my bookmarks bar favourites because of this and put in a folder. That adds another click. Sites that I store in folders are in effect relegated to occasional visits.

Sorry - for me you have taken a step backwards in the site being useful to me. It's your site, do what you want. It depends on helpful contributors though (I was one I think). Oddly enough I had a big timber framing thread written and ready to post in stages. The site change made me decide not to bother. Contributions and traffic seems low - hence not worth the effort.

AJB Temple":3do87jo4 said:
Yes, my navigation method is click on bookmark.
Turn down brightness as screen is much to bright with all the light space
Click Forum
Click view unread posts
Scroll - as the numerous header elements take up a lot of space

You could book mark the Unread Posts page - that would eliminate the first two clicks of your list.
Its what I do, as I'm only reading new posts.

Indeed I could. Though I spend very little time here anymore, since the changes was made. And it would not deal with the main thing I dislike: eye burningly bright with poor contrast, and an excessive amount of scrolling.

I am actually reading this at the moment on a 30" 5K monitor. The top third of the screen is headings and menu bars. Brightness is turned down to about 45% and I am still squinting at it. It's off putting. So I don't visit often and I minimise my time here.

It's obviously a templated design but I fear the site owner has made a catastrophically poor "upgrade decision". (PS : I run a quite large business. We have a few websites and do a lot of design work. So I am not being a stick in the mud - I just think this site is no longer user friendly. At least for me).

Ok, the new layout takes a bit of getting used to but my biggest gripe are the screen colours. What's strange is that the black text I'm typing out this reply with, is much much darker than the black the posts are in. The blacker text is easier to read. I find the whole page to be "washed out" and makes reading particularly straining on the eyes.

Back