Renovating DW1150 - Advice on how or who can do it

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teejayef

Reaction score
I've inherited a DW1150, when it works it's great but it's a bit worn in places (rubbers on feed bar)and the cutter bar needs some 'help' to start spinning or it will trip the cutoff switch. In the words of Manuel from Fawlty Towers "I know nothing!" so searching for a way to get the machine renovated and advice gratefully received (along with 'is it worth it!"). Hoping to develop a setup where I can make my own beekeeping equipment so thicknessing is a key element (it's all to do with bee space - don't ask!)
Thanks

The 'help' to get the motor spinning is probably the capacitor attached to the motor that needs replacing. Part no. 45 on the following dia.
http://www.powertoolspares.com/tool/dew ... e1/spares/

If you can read the label on the original (something like 30mf 450v) you should be able to find a matching one for a few quid via google .

Maybe some of these posts cover other questions you may have?

search.php?keywords=dw1150&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I have the same machine. My thoughts
- it’s great for timber up to 1.2m (4’) long, beyond that the tables are a bit short. For something the size of a beehive it’d be ideal.
- I’ve found it to be an accurate machine once set up. Getting the tables aligned is the tricky part.
- it’s pretty powerful for its size and motor inrush current on startup is high. If the weather is cold and the shed below 5degC mine will pop the 13a fuse. I get round this by starting it for 5secs then turning off, waiting a min then repeating. This drives heat into the motor and it’ll eventually kick off. Ps this may not be great to be doing all the time.
- the rubber on the rollers seems to perish, mine have perhaps a year or two left in them. They are available as a spare but £40 each. However the machines normally go for £250+ on eBay so for an inherited machine it’s likely worth it.
- I’ve done a few mechanical jobs on mine and it’s not a hard machine to work on, a bit fiddly in places but ok so long as you are reasonably mechanically minded.

Fitz.

I have the Elu EPT 1151, basically the same machine bought second hand from a forum member. I would say it is worth it from a point of view that it is a reasonably good planer thicknesser when you get it set up, but you have to make your own mind up on whether it is worth it for you.
If it is any help, 'Woodford Tooling' supply planer knives, a lady called Lisa is most helpful. (0161 439 5683).

Back