Digging down foundations.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would strongly advocate, in all cases of building any type of structure, would be to seek planning permission, it is not expensive in the great scheme of things, and could more than pay for itself in the long run, especially, if you run the risk of neighbour objections, and the risk of enforcement action from the planning authorities.

There may also be the issue with trees being close by, my local authority likes putting TPO's on everything green, which can be problematic trying to engineer footings around them.

I outline this purely on the basis of historic situations where people I know have built (not by me) structures within their "Permitted Development" rights, only to have to subsequently apply for either retrospective "Lawful Certificates" or submit a full planning application, which meant a nervous wait to see if they would be approved.

I have recently secured planning permission for a client to build a triple bay timber frame garage of 60m2 in a location that we expected a refusal, and another application for three Glamping pods on a green field site, that again, we didn't expect approval, but we now know that we can build these without any risk, and actually achieve the result we needed for these buildings to work, rather than a design that would constrict and compromise the purpose of use.

In all the projects I deal with, which will usually need Building regulations applied, I have never had any issues, as they will not only inspect the work you carry out but will offer advice and guidance, I use an independent company, which gives me a direct line to one person throughout my project, as opposed to the authorities BCO's which is usually a different one on every visit, with different opinions as well.

As has been said before, think of this as an asset to your property and build something that you need and will work for you in the long term.

DTB1985":1qt3y477 said:
It might end up as trench foundations and quite deep ones with the tree's .

When I had my current workshop built there was a tree on a neighbouring plot that had a Tree Preservation Order on it, the roots extended into my property. Bottom line was I had to have piles sunk and the workshop floated on a concrete raft. That was not a cheap job!

Latest posts

Back