Brazilian mahogany

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlanerPete

Reaction score
I built my own home over 30 years ago now....back when lovely dark hardwoods were in fashion. I imported half a tree from Brazil, back when you still could....had it kiln dried at my local timber yard and rough sawn into usable plank sizes.
I used the mahogany for window boards, dado rails, shelves, kitchen units, doors and stairs. All still beautiful to this day (although I know the wife would love to paint it all over)

Yesterday I decided to sort out the loft and have found some large left over and forgotten pieces of this gorgeous Brazilian mahogany. Obviously you can't really get it in this country anymore other than in reclaimed furniture and floors etc.

SO my question is...what shall I do with it? Is it worth making a table or such ? It's not the fashion these days and everyone seems to want glass or metal.

It's been well stored so no twists etc and there's good sized pieces.
Is it worth me trying to sell the wood on eBay or such? I may still have the original order sheets to prove its the real deal and legal.
I have no idea how to find restorers for example who may be keen to have it and not a clue what it's worth.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do with this most beautiful wood that would still look modern?

Hi you're not aloud to sell this stuff any more, nobody will want it either :shock:

I will have it collected for free and have it ethically disposed of! :wink: :D

Adidat

HA! Even I'm not THAT daft.....I'm sure glad I've still got the 30 odd year old paperwork though to prove I bought it before it was banned.

what are the boards- square edge or waney? thickness, width?

is it wide enough for a live edge desk?

You might be able to sell it to a tonewood dealer, as you say it's hard to come by these days, and is in demand for reproductions of the Golden era guitars, both acoustic and electric.

if you intend to sell rather than make then this very parish is as good if not better place than any. it's riddled with a nationwide readership of naturally interested parties both professional and amateur alike. Have you not seen Chrispy's threads of wooden board sales? There is a ready market right here for any quality timbers and whats more...its entirely free of any fees!!

Thanks for the replies guys. I've got two boards one is 8' x18.5"x 1.75" and the other is 4' x18.5"x 1.75" square edge.
I don't have a clue what they'd sell for?
if it was not much then I'd rather make something but the wife doesn't want any more "old fashioned" furniture so thought I'd come here to ask ideas on that.....but you got me thinking now about selling and I do know she'd have no problem spending any proceeds :eek:

I only joined here today so will spend some time reading all the valuable past threads...thanks again and sorry all my measurements are in old money .

noot a problem using old money PlanerPete. We're more than happy to pay you in it as well :p

B M was the very first hardwood I ever purchased many years ago and it was considered rubbish at the time.
BTW I think many timbers were also traded as Brazil Mah. and was just a name.

In terms of value I wouldn't get too excited just yet and tell the Mrs to hold off on that shopping trip!

I tried to buy an old mahogany bar top (with a few holes where the beer pumps were) which was 3m long and 50mm thick and the seller wanted £125 for it. He relisted it several times and got no bids. I made him an offer but he wasn't interested.

Having said that, I'm not far from you and I've got cash!

Steve

PlanerPete":120k6nh7 said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I've got two boards one is 8' x18.5"x 1.75" and the other is 4' x18.5"x 1.75" square edge.
I don't have a clue what they'd sell for .

If you want a reference price then have a look at what guitar neck blanks and body blanks sell for, and work out how many you could resaw it into. I’m not suggesting you actually cut it. Financially it’s probably worth more as large pieces.

its roughly 2.7 cubic feet so possibly £600 if you got it from a supplier. but that seems to be a lot. It really depends on the quality of the timber i suppose.

Adidat

It's unused not reclaimed . Has been stored flat so no twists at all I've been trying all weekend to talk the Mrs into letting me make something modern in style with it. When we bought the half tree about 35 years ago she loved the colour as much as me but times change apparently and I'm stuck in the past. So I think I'm losing this battle. I really appreciate all your comments. I am going to search out the timber yard receipts just out of interest to see what we paid all those years ago.....nostalgia

Hi,

A friend used to hand carve aircraft propellors from mahogany but has given up now that it is difficult to find. Others use beech now, but mahogany is best. What you have sounds ideal for making props from.

Colin

Back