Feather roller, final version

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Devonwoody
Your idea will keep me busy for 2 years not one weekend. I know to make only simple things, this one is too complicated for my small brain.

JFC
Thank you for your comments, its better to inquire than to have an accident.

Today I cut the other edge of oak boards straight, and than cut strips of 70mm and 40mm, I used the feather (I would say feeder) roller.
It went like butter, I've never had such an easy cut; pushed the oak and finish with the push stick. I had to re-adjust the roller unit for each cut but it took seconds.
I did not feel anything when the roller pressure was released and if I did not look at the roller, I would not know when the pressure is released.

niki

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

Then you should'nt be pushing it through the saw in the first place straighten one edge first...
Do you check all you timber you have bought P.A.R before milling it up ?
I do a quick check when i buy it but after that i trust its been machined to the quality i expect . Sometimes its not up to that quality or has moved while sat waiting to be shaped .
Im not quite sure where your point is as you seem to be sticking up for an idea without taking into consideration the possible bad points .
Keep posting Niki , i do actually like your ideas but you did ask for input so i gave it .
Jason .

On the riving knife idea , a riving knife that had the side away from the fence angled out would work quite well .... maybe ?

JFC":3e9q0sk1 said:
On the riving knife idea , a riving knife that had the side away from the fence angled out would work quite well .... maybe ?
Alternatively just do your ripping on a bandsaw......

Scrit

Scrit, your suggestion re the bandsaw is worthwhile, these days I use a bandsaw to rip short pieces, its safer, less noisy and less sawdust in the playroom.

However I do not have the confidence to rip long and heavy pieces because my BS and most others look as if they would become unbalanced, or the table unable to support weight of heavy pieces.

devonwoody":1itph7kg said:
However I do not have the confidence to rip long and heavy pieces because my BS and most others look as if they would become unbalanced, or the table unable to support weight of heavy pieces.
Then why not put a run-off table behind it, same as you should be doing with a table saw?

Scrit

Scrit, the bandsaw table is too high, the position of the saw and short of space for such equipment, and I do have the Triton which I can operate outside for overlong pieces.

Back