Planning multi directional grain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGoddard

Established Member
Reaction score
After flatting a piece I started to clean up router marks left with the hand plan (no 4 or 5 i think). Everything was going well until i hit some grain that was running in different direction and then i got some tear out - How do i prevent this?

Set your cap iron very very close to the edge you should only be able to see a sliver of reflected light from the blade, the cap iron will curl the shavings over and stop the wood from tearing out. The shavings should come straight out if the plane no curling.
Have a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdk4uRYioZg

Pete

The majority of the furniture I make features highly figured timbers, so I'm constantly dealing with awkward grain and tear out.

The main solutions are a high pitched iron (this could be a high pitched iron in a low angle plane), scraping, sanding, or a closely set cap iron.

The problem with a high pitched iron is it requires a separate tool, and if you go the low angle plane route then achieving the ideal camber becomes a bit trickier. Furthermore, how high pitched should high pitched be? If I worked exclusively with sweet planing Cuban Mahogany it would be an easy decision, 50 degrees and you're sorted. But rippled grain like the Maple I show later requires more than 50 degrees, I've got a Lie Nielsen plane with a 55 degree frog and that cures most tear out, but not quite all. If you keep going up the scale, to 60 degrees or higher, then it becomes increasingly difficult to push the plane through the cut. So you're left with the dilemma of deciding on a pitch that cures tear out in the timbers you use, but with a significant penalty in terms of planing effort if you over egg it and go too high.

The problem with scraping is that achieving flatness with a card scraper is tricky (it takes quite a lot of skill to both start and finish the cut without dubbing over edges), and if you go the scraping plane route then it's a slow tool to use as you've only one sharp edge on the iron and it needs quite a lot of re-sharpening (you get four edges on a card scraper). The 080 style scraper doesn't have quite the sole length of a true scraper plane, but personally I think it's the sweet spot as far as scraping is concerned. However, in truth all scraping is pretty slow as the cuts are so fine, scraping is okay for very shallow tear out but tedious as a solution for serious tear out over a larger area.

Sanding is a good solution if you have a decent drum sander, most people don't possess one so it's more of a commercial solution than a hobbyist fix.

That leaves a closely set cap iron. And for my money it's the best all round solution.

Here's a board of Fiddleback Maple, a timber I use frequently, the rippled figure is actually grain emerging on the surface at a completely different angle. Consequently it's difficult to plane cleanly. This is the result with a plane iron at my normal setting, you can see the big divots that have been torn out and you can also get a sense of how close the cap iron is to the cutting edge.

Tear-Out-Maple-01.jpg

Here's the same board and same plane (a bog standard Record), but with a closely set cap iron. You'll know when the cap iron is close enough as the shavings start to become slightly crinkly, a bit like an accordion. You don't want too much of this affect, but a bit shows you've set the plane up correctly.

Tear-Out-Maple-02.jpg

A closely set cap iron just works, and furthermore you can use the plane you've already got in your hands.

One small tip, when you first try a closely set cap it's easy to set the depth of cut too deep, at which point the plane will simply stop working. Creep up on the ideal depth setting slowly and be ready to wind the iron back a fraction if you go too far.

Attachments

• Tear-Out-Maple-01.jpg
    Tear-Out-Maple-01.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 803
  • Tear-Out-Maple-02.jpg
    Tear-Out-Maple-02.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 803
Custard, thanks for the info on how close is close! I’ve understood the need for a closely set cap iron but never understood how close. I now get it that it’s exceptionally close and related to the depth of cut. Something to go experiment with on my boards that are showing figure.

F.

More of the same, I'm currently working with some highly figured Curly Cherry.

When I had the cap iron set at the normal position, like this,

Tear-Out-Curly-Cherry-01.jpg

I was getting tear out, like this,

Tear-Out-Curly-Cherry-02.jpg

But by moving the cap iron much, much closer to the cutting edge,

Tear-Out-Curly-Cherry-03.jpg

The tear out disappears,

Tear-Out-Curly-Cherry-04.jpg

It was DW who alerted me to this, so thanks to him for tirelessly promoting what had largely become a forgotten trick in the woodworker's armoury. He seemed to endure a lot of negativity along the way, so full credit for sticking with it.

Attachments

• Tear-Out-Curly-Cherry-01.jpg
    Tear-Out-Curly-Cherry-01.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 685
  • Tear-Out-Curly-Cherry-02.jpg
    Tear-Out-Curly-Cherry-02.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 685
  • Tear-Out-Curly-Cherry-03.jpg
    Tear-Out-Curly-Cherry-03.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 685
  • Tear-Out-Curly-Cherry-04.jpg
    Tear-Out-Curly-Cherry-04.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 685
custard":2328e3v9 said:
........It was DW who alerted me to this, so thanks to him for tirelessly promoting what had largely become a forgotten trick in the woodworker's armoury. He seemed to endure a lot of negativity along the way, so full credit for sticking with it.

This is the perfect thread to discuss this technique, and so I haven't the slightest issue with DW (or anyone) raising it here. My only beef is when it gets raised endlessly in totally unrelated threads as though it were the answer to every single planing question.

MikeG.":bd5h7eci said:
My only beef is when it gets raised endlessly in totally unrelated threads as though it were the answer to every single planing question.
Only because we all know that getting a fire door from a skip is the real answer!! :p

Seriously though, that is insanely close.
I've looked at previous explanations, including photos, and honestly couldn't see the quarter-hair's breadth difference between each setting!!

Hardly anything to discuss, after Custard has said the last word.
But for the non converts....

That its far faster to plane with,
and far faster to sharpen your irons, as they're somewhere in the region of 30 degrees(ish)

But my favourate thing to drill home, which I did not believe until I tried it, was the fact that a plane which
is set for the cap to have infulence is .....
It wont dive off the ends, way more noticable on a longer Bailey.
No more stop shavings!

This gets important when your working veneer to a constant thickness.

All thanks to David Weaver :D
Cheers
Tom

Latest posts

Back