Paint gun & compressor suggestions/advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sihollies

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering buying a paint gun and compressor and am sure you could advise me well.
I am a hobbyist & generally make small items, such as jewellry boxes and marquetry pictures, which i normally finish with a brush and water based lacquer/varnish with pretty good results, (although quite time consuming).
A colleague suggested I should invest in a gun and compressor after stating he had great results from using the gun technique.
I have no knowledge whatsoever regarding spray finishing and would happily accept any advice, that this forum could offer, whether negative or positive about this technique.

Many thanks in advance
Simon

Although I have nothing in the way of an answer to this thread, I would like to register an interest. I too brush water based lacquers with reasonable results but I often think I might like to use a spray set up. A quiet compressor for inside use you be a major consideration for me.

Have a read of this thread: hvlp-investigation-and-review-t97520.html not the quietest solution, but certainly better at spraying than a compressor, unless you take into account the other things that a compressor can be used for, also have a look at a small air brush, they may be better suited to small pice's, like box's and the like, used for cake decoration, very small and controllable.

Mike

If its for smaller items, consider a small compressor and airbrush, less space, waste and cost.

Thanks for the advice.
It makes complete sense to get a small air brush.
I have had a quick look online and there are so many to choose from at many different prices.
Would you suggest that 'you get what you pay for' when it comes to compressors and accessories, or could anyone recommend any specific makes and models?
Thanks again
Simon

The problem you may encounter with an airbrush is the small paint capacity on most of them, I have the Iwata HP-TR2 witch has a larger paint pot and swivels on the gun to allow different positions for spraying upwards without the paint sloshing around in the pot.

There is one on e-bay at the moment, never used and under half price.

Iwata also make an almost silent small compressor.

Mike

I too run Iwata, however if you are not doing very fine detail the Chinese copies can work very well. If you have no need for the compressor to do anything else, then again the cheaper ones work fine for home use. If you plan to run other air tools or use the compressor for anything else you can run an air brush from the workshop compressors, but it makes you jump when it starts if you are concentrating on painting.. lol

The Iwata that you suggest sounds good, but it's a bit out of my price range, as I would need to buy a compressor too.
I was looking at about the £100 - 150 mark for the entire kit.
I notice there are several nozzle sizes in the airbrushes.
I assume a finer nozzle is for more detailed work?
What would be a good size for small projects?

sihollies":35qce6xh said:
I assume a finer nozzle is for more detailed work?
What would be a good size for small projects?

A 0.5mm will go from fine lines up to about 2" wide, for boxes and restoration projects that's the one I use the most.

Rutlands had a complete HPLV kit that wasn't too expensive but I can't link to it because they appear to have taken down their site to upgrade it. :lol:

Thanks very much for the information. I will keep checking Rutlands.
When I know so little about the subject, and there is so much information and products on the Web, it gets rather overwhelming.

Thanks again

IMO you should never compromise on the gun/air brush, it decides the finish you will achieve, the Iwata HP-TR2 on e-bay is a bargain, in fact I think I will bid for it, let me know if you are going to bid and I will duck out.

Mike

Thanks for the link and pointing me in the right direction.
I really can't justify spending that much money on an Iwata air brush at the moment as I have never used one and may not take to it.

Thanks again

If you are going for an airbrush rather than a hvlp paint gun, then a 2 stage like the one above by mikehjn is the better type. they allow far more control as to volume of paint and width of spray cone while not having to move the brush in and out from the subject. 2 stage brushes are what most commercial graphic artist use . I've been using a badger one since I was 12, originally for modelling and now for touchups. only needed to replace the tip once and that was my own fault.

The following article may help you:
http://www.airbrushguru.com/choosing-th ... brush.html

Latest posts

Back