Hello and please educate me!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyp

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm new forum user and and relative newbie to turning.

I have decided I would like a lathe to further my woodworking knowledge and skills.
I'm an artist by trade and a keen woodworker for fun.

I have a basic knowledge of turning that my grandad taught me many moons ago. He didn't have all his fingers though so my skills are as limited as his teaching! He lost his finger on a table saw and not a lathe mind you.
As for the lathe I was taught on, I can't remember the exact model but it was big old thing with no bells and whistles.

So to cut a long story short I want to buy a lathe and make some table legs. Is this all I want to do? Probably not. I however have no real desire to make big bowls etc. I enjoy making furniture so my lathe needs to be capable of turning a 30" leg.

I have decided £500ish is what I'm willing to currently spend for new or used, I am quite happy to spend less though.

So the question is:
Can I achieve this for £500 and if so, What would you buy for 500ish if you shared my table leg making ambitions?

Hi and welcome,

On Ebay you can sometimes find good bargains when someone is selling all the equipment for turning together.

It'd definitely do-able for £500.

Don't forget it is not just the lathe, tools, sharpening, chuck etc. Look for a second hand bundle, you should get most of what you need all together. WARNING- Its addictive!

Thank s for the replies.

What is the minimum motor size I should be looking for?
I have also seen people saying that 500 as a minimum speed is to fast for large pieces. Is this true and should I be looking for something slower?

Most branded lathes will be well matched with their capacity to speed to motor size, it will depend on your needs, always worth trying a couple if you can first, if their is a local club they and the members will have various models and sizes to try.

Jimmyp":29fd6gtf said:
Thank s for the replies.

What is the minimum motor size I should be looking for?
I have also seen people saying that 500 as a minimum speed is to fast for large pieces. Is this true and should I be looking for something slower?

low speeds are only really necessary for large diameter work. because its all about how fast the work piece surface moves past the tool.
Your long thin table legs wont have that problem

Back