Tree book recommendations?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing too scientific, and not species identification (I have a couple of those and am still completely hopeless) - something to read at bedtime? Have you read anything that you really enjoyed and can recommend?

Thanks

Chris

+1

"The New Sylva" is a wonderful book with gorgeous line drawing illustrations, I was discovering something new on almost every page.

If you want to understand woods in an historical context try Adam Bowett, "Woods In British Furniture Making 1400-1900".

Neither are cheap though so maybe get a copy from the library.

Well, I thought The New Sylva was expensive at about £32 til I saw Woods in British Furniture-making 1400 - 1900 at £131! That'd keep me awake at night worrying. :shock: They both look fantastic books. I really like the sound of the New Sylva - I'd not heard the term before, and I want to start drawing trees so it maybe the one to go for if I'm to buy - though I think I'm off to the library tomorrow morning to see if I can get them on inter-library loan first (ours is a small library in town). I found The Natural History of Oak Tree for a few quid used, that might fit with night-time slumbers a little more...
I really appreciate your replies.
Chris

I had never heard of the new sylva (or the old one, for that matter). Ordered a copy as a surprise present for the loml who will appreciate it. (And I get to read it too).

The Soul of a Tree looks interesting marcros, though again it's not cheap at £40+. I have the New Sylva on order at the library, should be here next week, and after that I'm going to try Woods in British Furniture-making which will take longer to come as it's not available in county. Soul of a Tree will be third in line, and that's bed-time sorted for a while to come!
Thanks again all,
C

Back