Identify this!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
Buying a lathe with a job lot of tooling and this was among it. I can't work out what it is!
2835be1e5e628633b33e22d1ac127ef4.jpg
8f8ada96f60f174b00d23893f5a4ba93.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

TFrench":2o5vz7tl said:
Buying a lathe with a job lot of tooling and this was among it. I can't work out what it is!
2835be1e5e628633b33e22d1ac127ef4.jpg
8f8ada96f60f174b00d23893f5a4ba93.jpg

First reaction is that it's a spin indexer but not too sure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That was my first thought, but what's the big spring for??

I'd say it has a detent of some sort. from the 20 degrees on the plate I'm guessing there is 18 clicks. the holes make me think there is a rod for fitting in for turning it.
is the centre hole tapered? does it go all the way through?

Sorry, I should have added more detail. There's no detent, and the bore is straight. I thought it looked like a 5c indexer, but theres no taper for the collet. The spring is very strong. Spinning the end doesn't seem to adjust anything either.

ok. so that's a no then.

my other thought was a carriage stop. still need more information though. like what lathe is it?

Kinda reminds me of a magnetic clutch, like you get on AirCon pulleys.
Do lathes have such things?

The lathe is a 13" harrison. Picking it up on Sunday. Only thing it's really missing is a 4 jaw chuck and the honking great c spanner for changing the chuck. Quite excited as I've never had a play on a big lathe before, only my dad's Drummond that throws it's belts off if you make more than a micron cut.

Further looking at the "mystery thing" it looks like it was maybe bigger and has been milled down to fit something. I'll get some better pictures.

Back