Red Mallea Burl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pops92

Established Member
Reaction score
Would like some input on finish please. I am not turning this,I intend to fish the top to a high gloss finish 3 items will be inserted on the top which will be proud . The Burl is 10" x 9"×2" I am looking for advice on finishing this as I have never used this wood before?
Thanks for any input

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 496
I sometimes turn red mallee burr and usually use microcrystalline wax or oil, depending on whether I want to change the colour of the wood. Both provide reasonably tough surfaces.
Duncan

Duncan A":hvp3yq6r said:
I sometimes turn red mallee burr and usually use microcrystalline wax or oil, depending on whether I want to change the colour of the wood. Both provide reasonably tough surfaces.
Duncan
I would be interested in hearing about the colour changes with the various finishes, Duncan.

First of all, I should make clear that it was sold to me as mallee burr; I would describe it as red, but I've no proof of whether it is red or brown mallee. And my colour sight is decidedly dodgy!
Using oil works very well as it lifts the figuring and often works well with the wood's colouring although it does darken it a bit. It can sometimes make the wood look a bit mud-coloured, but the only way to know is to give it a try. My preference is to use oil, but leaving a day between coats, as I usually do, makes it quite a slow process. I put on up to six coats of oil depending upon level of shine required and just how the colour and figuring looks - and my patience!
When using M/C wax, I may or may not use sanding sealer first. Sanding sealer can add warmth and lift the figuring, but sometimes can, as with oil, make it look a bit muddy. To be honest, my approach is a little haphazard and mainly based on how dark the wood is - if it is already quite dark I tend to just use MC wax, which is clear but can look a bit sterile.
Wax however is not always ideal on burr as I find that small voids in the wood end up filled with unsightly pieces of wax so, if the wood has lots of voids (not sure of the correct term) I prefer to use oil.
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures I can put up; perhaps a little comparative project for the future.
Duncan

I have used this timber on several projects and have found Danish oil a perfect finish, wax gets caught in the fissures and can look pretty rough. Danish oil came up with a nice sheen and of course could be buffed for higher gloss finish, the wood darkened a little it was the exterior (bark area) that darkened most significantly.

Back