3mt to Straight shaft adaptor.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My apologies lazarus, I have unwittingly passed on what is known in the trade as a "bum steer" (NO horns involved).

Now seeing CHJ's thread I realise I should have gone to the start of the thread and not just jumped in. Apologies for potentially leading you astray. What I said was quite correct if dealing with a MT adaptor into, say, a lathe (for a drilling chuck in the tail stock) or into a Pillar drill. In those cases the MT is always under "in-line" pressure while working, but just as CHJ says, if we're talking about milling and using a collet, depending on the system, that may not always be the case. In which case, you SHOULD DEFINITELY use a draw bar (in principle it's just a long bolt) which ensures the male adaptor is retained within the female whatever happens, otherwise potentially VERY SERIOUS consequences can arise - you do NOT want anything coming loose!

My apologies, I should learn to look at the whole thread before just jumping in before just reading the last post in the thread! (hammer) (that's for me!)

AES

Thanks again guys, yes the tailstock quill has the slot for using a drift, I guess as the headstock cannot use a drift the machining is for the shorter MT3 taper. yes I will be using the tail stock to support the pigtail, I have no wish to launch the end mill adaptor and pigtail. I may fabricate a drawbar instead I will see what is best option, and yes I do clean my orifice`s after use!!!!!!

I've never worked with a drawbar and taper that has a shoulder that would stop a tanged arbor. all the machines I've use have the through hole the same size as the a the small end of the taper, especially as the tang is meant to be smaller than the tip (only the tip and just for a minute :D ).

agree with everything above though, it's not like I've worked with every machine ever made (in fact I've still not used the fabaled bridgeport mill I hear so much about, dopey yanks)

Just to finish this thread off, I got a 3Mt 10mm end mill holder, combined with a 10mm shaft pigtail and this works a treat. thanks for the education.

Back