Old eyes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wr2010

Reaction score
As an old late comer to woodturning I'm finding it difficult to see my progress when spindle turning on my PooleWood lathe.
This is primarily, I think, due to the tatty green paint finish on the lathe chunky banjo. Everything seems to merge into the background, especially when turning Oak. I do have a strong overhead LED light.
I'm thinking about getting the banjo powder coated white. Holding a white sheet of paper over the banjo makes eveything so much clearer.
Do any other forum members have any other suggestions to improve sighting of the work or comment on whether powder coat white is a "good" solution. Will probably go for a Matt finish.
(BTW am also having an eye test later in the month!)

Andy

Hi Andy,
I've also found a strong overhead LED useful, the wall behind my lathe is painted white to reflect light & reduce shadows.

My tip was discovered completely by accident, I had a black roofing square placed behind the lathe. As I looked up from the point of contact of my gouge with the wood to the top edge of the wood, I could see the profile of my work clearly against the black background. I could also see the shape develop as I moved the tool across the rest.
The contrast of the light wood against the black was really helpful.

I still need to look at where the tool is contact with the wood but by also using the feel and the sound of the cut I find I can keep glancing up at the profile to check it.

Steve

Redkite":12o1fdq2 said:
Hi Andy,
I've also found a strong overhead LED useful, the wall behind my lathe is painted white to reflect light & reduce shadows.

My tip was discovered completely by accident, I had a black roofing square placed behind the lathe. As I looked up from the point of contact of my gouge with the wood to the top edge of the wood, I could see the profile of my work clearly against the black background. I could also see the shape develop as I moved the tool across the rest.
The contrast of the light wood against the black was really helpful.

I still need to look at where the tool is contact with the wood but by also using the feel and the sound of the cut I find I can keep glancing up at the profile to check it.

Steve

You will also find that by doing as you have that any off centre work where there is ghosting of the wood as it spins is also easier seen. I tend to look at the top of the turning all of the time and not at the tool never any fear of running off the end of the tool rest as my hand tells me where it is as I get close to either end of it

Steve & others, thanks for the suggestions.

In particular, I've tried Steve's idea of making a "background" of a consistent colouring and texture and it makes life much easier.

I think that my previous setup of many and varied colours/items in my direct and peripheral vision was seriously interfering with my concentration on the piece.

Steve & Dalboy's comment about ghosting and looking at the top of the piece was also a good tip for me and enables a better appreciation of where the turning is going - good and bad.

As for eyewear, I think my reading glasses are OK and I do wear a face shield but, subject to the optician's examination, I might need a better prescription for the distance to the lathe as opposed to a book. We'll see.

Thanks again to all for the input.

Andy

Back