Erbauer 12" Disc Sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnt64

Established Member
Reaction score
Just purchased the above disc sander from screwfix , very impressed with it to say the least. I intend to use it mainly for squaring up the ends of pen blanks so possibly a little bit overkill for that particular job but I would imagine it will be man enough for anything I am likely to throw at it.
It is a fair beast weighing in at about 25 kilos rock steady in operation no vibration what-so ever and very quiet when running, the disc runs true, and the table is child's play to set up. It has a dust extraction port which when connected up to a vacuum is more than adequate, ok it doesn't collect all the dust but I would say about 90% of it. This machine was probably about the cheapest I could find and having already purchased a number of Erbauer tools I was confident that it would be of decent quality. The sanding disc is self adhesive type so if your going to change discs frequently this could be an issue however it is possible to upgrade to to use velcro backed discs if required. There is a manual brake fitted to the top of the wheel guard which is a nice touch and it also comes with a two year warranty. So all in all a good value machine.

i been intending to get a DS for aaages, id also concluded it was the best option in terms of value for money, so its good to hear its good quality.

I'm still weighing up what sander I want to buy. My problem is that I don't have a specific task for it, I want more of an all rounder. My problem with a disc sander is that it's not very efficient in terms of space, in that you can only use half the disc. A stationary belt sander has more usable sanding area, but usually three times the price.

What I really want, is this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN2nM10CDWM&t=3s

I also looked at that machine however I already have the bobbin sander (which incidentally is fantastic particularly when scribing skirting boards). I would then have had to sell my bobbin sander and I really really wanted a disc sander . Boys and their toys so to speak.

I have the record Power 12 inch disc sander and I use it a lot. I certainly would not want to be without it. I have a smaller sander with the 4 inch belt and 6 inch disc which occasionally gets used, but not regularly. I use mine for tuning up segments for my segmented turning builds and the level of repeatable accuracy is wonderful. I’m sure the Erbauer sander is very similar and fully adjustable to achieve the same repeatability. In answer to Transatlantics comment about only using a quarter of the disc, (haven’t figured out how to use quotes yet), I have very recently removed the yellow cover that covers up the right hand quarter of the disk so as to sand both ends of a half ring simultaneously to true it up. I really don’t know why I didn’t do this years ago. Sure I have to hold the job to the table carefully, but hey I’m only very gently sanding the ends, and it’s no great effort. It doesn’t seem to have affected the dust extraction at all by removing this part.

I purchased the Erbauer 12" sander Great tool at the price then later on got the Rutlands
Oscillating Belt and Bobbin Sander when i had the Money been happy with both

Looks very similar to my old Axminster, except the table on mine is cast iron. Boy the prices on these have sure jumped up in the last 10 years, I am sure I only paid about £100 or less for mine.

Back