Fungus and possible health issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbyshop

Established Member
Reaction score
I cut down a pear tree in the autumn and set aside some of the larger pieces to dry.
The tree had not been healthy for some years and soon after putting the logs into storage a white fungus appeared on the cut ends.

I am a little concerned whether there might be any health issues in turning this wood, and would appreciate any advice or knowledge from other members.

Pictures attached:

Attachments

• pear1s.jpg
    pear1s.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 875
  • pear4s.jpg
    pear4s.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 875
Yes there are health issues and caution is needed, but no need to be alarmist.
Adequate breathing protection should be used when turning and finishing any wood, Fungal growth and any associated spalting of the wood just means that a little extra care is needed, just like handling mouldy hay etc.

You need to check the level of any spalting taking place, it can provide very attractive figuring but can rapidly go past its 'sell by' date if the wood is too moist.

Thanks Chas
I normally use the Trend Airshield when sanding, together with local extraction, so I guess I will do the same while turning in this case.

The wood is not particularly wet, as it was placed in dry storage immediately it was harvested. I suspect the fungus had already taken hold in the living tree before I cut it down.
There appears to be some staining in a few pieces that I have noticed, but no sign of the dark black lines I usually associate with spalting.

I watched the first video, really interesting. Does anyone know where to get the fungus from in the UK - I can only see it at Oregon State University.

Chris152":bse5v7qc said:
I watched the first video, really interesting. Does anyone know where to get the fungus from in the UK - I can only see it at Oregon State University.
As far as I know, they are not available in the UK but I stand to be corrected.
Spalting is a subject in its own right & the little I know has been gleaned from Dr Robinson's videos. There are others on YouTube.
I sometimes put wet logs in plastic bags & if I forget about them I can get a happy accident of spalted wood. The only control I have is when to stop the fungal activity by drying the wood.

Back