Finishing stair treads that have different tones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Harmony

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here #-o
Was after some advice on finishing my stairs:
DB69C21C-E053-4FDC-9280-25FE7FEC2139.jpeg

I have sanded them back best I can, just need to get out some little groves of paint still. My query is what to do next so I get an even look across the treads without the centre runner looking darker, where they have been exposed for the last 90 odd years under carpet where the sides were painted over. What’s my first point of call? I want them stained/ varnished etc. The rest of the stairs will be painted.

Many thanks

Attachments

• DB69C21C-E053-4FDC-9280-25FE7FEC2139.jpeg
    DB69C21C-E053-4FDC-9280-25FE7FEC2139.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 670
Time is the only solution. So long as all the timber really is clean (I'd scrub it down with a stiff brush and sugar soap), UV light will darken up the lighter stuff somewhat over the course of a summer or two.

The real solution is to put down another carpet up the middle with stair rods.

I'd paint them and fit a stair carpet.

Paint or polish on its own is a bit of a slippy hazard on a stair.

More of an issue than the finish is the lack of protection from falling. There should be a newel, handrail, and ballusters. At the moment the stair is non-compliant with regulations, and dangerous.

Thanks for the comments.
The stair rail will be fitted at some point, the previous owner (a 91 year old) got rid of it for some reason and was tough as old boots, plodding up and down the stairs without much assistance!

I may have to reconsider what I’m doing with the stairs then, my original plans won’t seem to work as I’m not willing to wait two years! One option was to just stain the runner but I’m not sure how keen I am with that idea.

You can get past it quite readily, but spoil the stairs in the process. You'd take away any of the interest by turning it all into "new" wood.

Perhaps one of those stair cladding kits?
It's certainly easier to achieve tonal consistency when finishing new wood.
Also the old structure would remain intact.

It can't be made to look like new wood - because it is old wood.
If you sand and scrub it'll end up looking like old driftwood. Scatter a few limpet shells around for effect?
Paint effects is your best bet. There are some brilliant videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0qO2pLWkho
Or go for stone effect?
Personally I'd go for paint and carpet effect.
When I've painted ours we are looking at stair carpet from Wales: http://www.solvawoollenmill.co.uk/floor-rugs

potentially IMO you would need to sand off 2 to 3mm to rid the dark bit.......

Back