MDF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricksterdude

Established Member
Reaction score
HI all, I'm trying to make an Aztec calendar on my CNC router. I'm not having much success due to the MDF breaking away at points where the engraving is quite intricate. I'm just wondering do you get different grades of MDF or stuff thats a higher density? I've been getting mine from Homebase.

Would be more expensive but have you considered SRBP ? ( Tufnol or similar brands ).

The MDF from Homebase is totally useless for doing intricate stuff with. It’s ideal for doing stuff like large letters and numbers though

tricksterdude":gmt3xgi5 said:
The Tricoya and Valchroma look interesting. Pricey though. I’ve never heard of SRPB tbh

It's an engineering composite / laminate. We used to sell Tufnol brand http://www.tufnol.com/materials-full/pa ... -full.aspx. There are several grades depending on use but all cut and machine well, are very stable and strong. Stinks a bit when worked though. :lol:

Before you splash out, What is the diameter of the calendar ?

If it is within that of a piece of laminate flooring, then i would try to get a sample of laminate flooring from your local b and q or one of moisture resistant (green) laminate flooring. It is hdf much denser than mdf.

Back