Gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonboy2003

Reaction score
As a beginner to woodturning as a hobby I find it strange as to why bowl gouges seem to at least twice the price of similar size spindle gouge, there must be some logic, can anyone explain what that might be? I'm tempted by the Ashley iles all rounder gouge that may be good for a beginner's budget i.e. 2 for the price of one so as to speak. reagrds, Tony

The bowl gouges are much heavier so I assume the machining is more expensive. I doubt the dual purpose would be good for a beginner as it would ideally have two different grinds - the long grind for spindle work would catch in a second on a bowl.

If you can afford it go for the Robert Sorby set which will give you a good start then buy as you need. I have that set and have used everything in it even though I did change the grind on the scraper in there which for me made it more usable for my needs
THIS is the set I am talking about

Dalboy":3lqenrmk said:
If you can afford it go for the Robert Sorby set which will give you a good start then buy as you need. I have that set and have used everything in it even though I did change the grind on the scraper in there which for me made it more usable for my needs
THIS is the set I am talking about

Robert sorby is a very high quality manufacturer, you will need a basic set roughing gouge, spindle gouge, parting tool will get you going. Don't be tempted by cheap tool or gimmicks. I started with a basic set as above 20 years ago and still use them every session. money well spent. Size wise 3/8 long and strong bowl, and a 3/8 spindle will cover most tasks

Thank you for your advice gents, am going for the Sorby set as suggested, does this mean I'll be able to produce masterpieces like yours Dalboy? LOL!

Jonboy2003":1px6bg23 said:
Thank you for your advice gents, am going for the Sorby set as suggested, does this mean I'll be able to produce masterpieces like yours Dalboy? LOL!
You will not regret getting that set it would have cost a lot more if you brought them all separate. As i ststed now only buy tools as needed not because they are the latest gadget otherwise you will end up with a workshop full of tools that are never used.
Mind you I have a thread chasing set I brought early last year that have not yet seen a piece of wood what with health problems and other things keep getting in the way so this year I am going to make some items with screw threads.
Practice practice and more practic will soon see you making things that you never dreamed of trying keep things simple yet fun to make and get to know your tools and machine. Also remember the finish is as much part of the item you make.
And don't forget the sharpening

And it doesn't matter if you get it wrong, turners do not make mistakes only design opportunities.......

Remember a 1/2" spindle gouge is made from a 1/2" diameter bar but a 1/2" bowl gouge is made from a 5/8"-ish diameter bar so the cost of materials is higher. Also the bowl gouges are generally longer and have a deeper flute which presumably takes more machining. Add to these the longer handle and that's at least three reasons why the bowl gouge costs more.

I recently bought the 6-piece Sorby set with the view to learning and selling it on once I'd decided what individual tools I wanted for bowl/ platter turning. I regularly use them all except the spindle gouge and have every intention of keeping them, really pleased with the quality. But as Dalboy says, don't forget to sort sharpening straight away.

Back