resin hybrid turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davlin

Reaction score
hi all, i'm new to the forum and looking forward to getting involved. my question is this....has anyone tried acrylic/resin turning and if so what are your views. i've recently purchased a paint pressure pot in which i'm going to convert into a resin pressure pot to get rid of any bubbles. thanks and hello everyone.....davlin

I have cast and turned my own polyester resin blanks as well as turned other resins and acrylics. Some turn easier than others but a gentle approach to start with will give an idea of the particular blanks quirks so to speak. You will need to stop and clear the lathe a few times as shavings can easily tangle around the spindle and the iten being turned.
After turning there are several ways that you can bring it to a scratch free shine. Have a look at George Watkins site and his u tube channel.

Just did my first castings and turnings (ala Heath KNUCKLES) this weekend, very pleased with the results, I use a polyester water clear resin by Easy composites which can be colored, it also has a good open time so it allows for vacuum degassing and pressure casting. I have some images but unable to post so PM if anyone's interested. I cast at 55psi and got a bubble free blank which really turned out well. Carbide tools are the way to go for this resin as HSS tools do not give a good finish at all. I finished with abranet to 600 grit then Yorkshire grit finished with a marine wax.

Would love to see some photos Laura but I'm unable to pm you with me being a new member. Is there any other way of me being able to receive them (maybe my email address)? I've just got myself a paint pressure pot in which I'm going to attempt to convert into a resident pressure pot. You speak highly of the resin you are using but have you tried aluminite?

Laura Lol.
Alumilite sets too fast for me I find the open time of the one I use puts less pressure on getting things ready. I too use a paint pot converted, it has a safe working pressure of 80psi so my 55 psi is well within its limits, I did adjust the pressure relief valve to 60 psi for peace of mind. It is almost the same as the harbor freight one as shown many times on You tube, the conversion just needed the purchasing of a single 3/8 t0 1/4 bsp adaptor and a false bottom of plywood. I pressure it up and it will hold pressure when disconnected from the compressor for over 24 hours. I generally leave my castings in overnight and take it into the house in this weather to set. Happy to send you some images or you can see them here
http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.p ... 7.html#new
The pictures are not great but will give you the idea. resin is easily colored but you only need a couple of drops in 350g or it goes very opaque and difficult to see the enclosed timber. I do all my mixing by weight not volume much easier to get right.

veeery impressive lazura, top and bottom pics look like you've turned a fireball!!!! did you use hss tools or carbide and what type of wood does that burr come from. sorry for the barage of questions lazurus but what you've turned there id very inspiring.

I have turned acetal (supplied as a solid bar) and it turns beautifully. Finish off the tools is good. Only snag is the shavings can get very long :)

Acetal!!!! Never heard of it wood farmer. Alumilite now have a new product that gives a little longer prep time called "water clear" I believe. Obviously comes at a cost!!!!!

Back