HVLP wax/staining options

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR H 91

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been using a Briwax to colour and protect a popular item on my Etsy shop for a while now, but it's becoming very time consuming and with demand increasing for this item, I'm struggling to keep up, so I'm looking for an alternative finish solution. I've been looking at purchasing this HVLP system from Axminster for a while Fuji HVLP System.

I understand I'm unable to use waxes in the spray system, but is there anything out there that would be a good alternative? I've found this online - Morrells wood stain. Perhaps this along with a top coat of clear would work well.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, thank you!

Rhys

You're asking huge question Rhys, with much essential background information left out. So much depends on your spraying experience, the item in question, do you have a dedicated spray booth with proper extraction, how will the time be used, what volume are you making.

In a commercial environment most items are spray finished, but that doesn't necessarily mean spraying is the best solution for you.

I use Morrells Light Fast Wood Stain; it's excellent !

custard":pbf41qjf said:
You're asking huge question Rhys, with much essential background information left out. So much depends on your spraying experience, the item in question, do you have a dedicated spray booth with proper extraction, how will the time be used, what volume are you making.

In a commercial environment most items are spray finished, but that doesn't necessarily mean spraying is the best solution for you.

Thanks for your reply Custard.

I have a little experience with spraying, but everyone started somewhere right? I didn't know much about woodwork 2 years ago and now I run a full time business, so I do need to learn as I'm getting busier.

I will be building a dedicated spray booth in my shop with adequate extraction. It will be for various items, but mainly Redwood boards, to be used indoors. I'm thinking perhaps a top coat of stain, then a finish of clear lacquer. Volume is around 20 boards sold per day, hence me needed an alternative solution to rubbing in wax.

Thanks again,

Rhys

Contact Morrells directly and explain to them exactly what you're trying to achieve. I've always found them to be exceptionally helpful and they'll recommend a full solution that's appropriate for your equipment, facilities, timber, operational scale, etc.

Good luck!

Hi Rhys, back in the 90's when i was buying / restoring / making and selling pine (as it was the in thing then) i was spraying wax as it was a darn sight quicker than applying with a brush.
I used Fiddies cold spray wax through a Wagner HVLP system then go over with an old tee shirt leave for 10 mins and finish off with a pine brush in a drill.
As long as the room/item/wax and gun were worm it worked a treat, best done after lunch once the fire had been on through the morning.
If you want to try it out without spending a load of money, my Wagner system is up for sale, £40 + £10 postage, PM if interested.
It was purchased from Morrells and i'm sure at the time they did a spray wax but looking at their site i cannot see any waxes listed.

Back