Refurbished Moving Fillister Plane;

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
Work on refurbishing this traditional moving fillister plane has been completed.

Reglued the boxwood wear strips;
Reworked the irons bed to flat;
Flattened the sole of the plane;
Shortened the wedge length at the toe by 1/4";
Resharpened the iron and nicker;
Restored the patina to the worked areas of bare wood;
2 coats of wax;
Tested the planes performance;

The planesmaker is Griffiths-Norwich. The following covers their history.
https://www.sgriff.com/planes/griffiths ... ndproducts

Can I ask how you applied patina to match? Did you have to do any work on the depth adjuster? I have a fillister, also a Griffith's, which has seized somewhat. Thx.
W

Woody; I used a high concentration of Van Dyke Crystals. The higher the concentration of crystals within the hot water dissolve, the darker the tint. Apply to a test wood to fine tune the concentrate. As for the depth stop, you will need to remove the adjuster assembly to identify where its binding.

Stewie;

Woody; I removed the adjuster assembly on my moving fillister plane to give you an idea of their design. If the top mounting screws are steel their likely rusted in by now and may give you some fun trying to remove them. 1 of the screws broke on me as I was removing them. I managed to dig out the broken thread and epoxy filled the original holes to allow me to replace them with 7/8" brass wood screws.

Stewie;

On a binge, stewie? I went on one last year thinking I might like to make a few of the type (i'd still like to, but they're cheaper in whole planes than the hardware is, so that sort of squashes that), and bought 7 of them (only still have two - even two is an indulgence).

Using brass screws is nice - it will give a clear signal that work has been done on the plane and that it's not in original condition, even if the blending in of new wood surfaces is not noticeable to a future owner.

After applying Brass Black to those 2 brass screws, it would take a very keen eye to pick up they were not original to the plane.

Work on the 2nd of 3 vintage Moving Fillister Planes is close to completion. The replacement sliding fence was made using the original brass hardware.

middle plane, (prior to refurbishment)

Test run with the latest refurbished Moving Fillister Plane. The wood used is Kwila (Merbau). The early W1 iron took a very sharp edge and kept it till the end of the rebate.

Latest posts

Back