Size of workshop floor dimensions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutley Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Can anyone tell me what is the minimum size of floor area for a workshop which has all the usual tools and be able to cut up 8x4 sheets and have wood storage.

Thanks all. Appreciate the advice

MattRoberts":mvg44u8h said:
A single garage, 3m x 5m

Hmm, I think you'll struggle to cut up an 8x4 sheet in a single garage containing "all the usual tools", I certainly do

If you are very creative, you could manage in a single car garage, but a comfortable shop
shouldn't be under 100m2.

pcb1962":2h5nl4om said:
MattRoberts":2h5nl4om said:
A single garage, 3m x 5m

Hmm, I think you'll struggle to cut up an 8x4 sheet in a single garage containing "all the usual tools", I certainly do
I manage fine in mine, and I have all the 'usual' tools and probably a lot more :)

It depends how you want to cut the sheet of plywood. On a table saw then you need 17' by 9' area for the saw. With a Rail and Saw you just need enough room to stand one side of the sheet so 10' by 6'

Maybe a drawing will help you. Here is my workshop, with dimensions. I have dropped in a 2.4x1.2 sheet to illustrate the area available to work on such a sheet. Note that I don't actually have a tablesaw, but have allowed the space for one. If you have one, then you can see that space in a single garage (typically 6m x c4m) is a bit tight if you wnat to lay out a full sheet of ply/ MDF, but that it is do-able.

aRUGpeQ.jpg

Hi Guys. Thanks for all the posts. Definitely given me some food for thought on size needed and where to position tools etc. Now need to get on with a design

Latest posts

Back