LED light strobing when turned off

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGoddard

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can help. I have fitted (now taken off) a new LED bathroom light and it all works fine :), however, when its turned off it strobes = very annoying. I have read that this can be solved with a capacitor, which is great. Has any one fitted one? If so, how to you wire on up

Its caused by some voltage across the led even when the switch is off, picked up from cables close to others, I can't see a way round it.
Don't wire a capacitor across mains unless you want a big bang.

Pete

Have you checked that the connections are the right way round, and that ALL connections are clean and tight?

Is it a circuit with two switches ? Would be odd in a bathroom, but possible I guess.

It's possible that the bulk capacitor in the integrated electronics is slowly charging from a leakage current or capacitive coupling in the cable of a dual switch configuration, until it reaches a level of charge enough for the power supply to start up, and empty the capacitor into the load. A sort of inadvertent relaxation oscillator.

He He!!! Takes me back to my college days: Take largest Electrolytic Cap we could get our hands on from the labs. Wire it between the Live and Neutral on extension lead. Run extension lead out of window (college digs). Plug in and switch on.

I've grown up now (honest, m'lud)

Chris

Sheffield Tony":6kw90356 said:
Is it a circuit with two switches ? Would be odd in a bathroom, but possible I guess.

It's possible that the bulk capacitor in the integrated electronics is slowly charging from a leakage current or capacitive coupling in the cable of a dual switch configuration, until it reaches a level of charge enough for the power supply to start up, and empty the capacitor into the load. A sort of inadvertent relaxation oscillator.

Yes as there is a fan with a switch as well.

Racers":hk04ktdf said:
Its caused by some voltage across the led even when the switch is off, picked up from cables close to others, I can't see a way round it.

could I insulate them more some how?

Pete

Try disconnecting both wires to the fan. Its possible its back feeding through the motor.

Latest posts

Back