Low angle, 5 or 5 ½ jack plane for a beginner?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just edited post above. It now reads; So yes you are right Mike - it'll work but only if they are parallel, but I'm right too - it'll work even if they aren't parallel but are identical! Might as well make them identical and keep it simple!
Which is all I'm saying really.

PS Mike I hadn't twigged that you were using the bottom edge of the further stick - I always use the top edges as it eliminates the possibility of an error due to them being not parallel!

Phew!
Hope nobody is nodding off at the back!
winding.jpg

Jacob":208xozw5 said:
It's just simple geometry - nothing to do with parallax ... :roll:
On reflection, you're right, it's geometry, not parallax. The situation was incorrectly thought through on my part - idleness I suspect, ha, ha. Slainte.

Wasn't this originally a fairly innocent question about a plane choice...?

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Jacob"Hope nobody is nodding off at the back! [img:26bws9nv said:
http://owdman.co.uk/winding.jpg[/img]

A-HAH..... so everyone who calls them winding sticks is wrong in the first place.....!!

I suspect that rather than Winding Strips they perhaps actually ought to be called Unwinding Strips ? :idea:

Has the chap using the sticks nodded off?

The illustrator makes the same mistake as the photographer usually does. There is a wonderful Hayward photo.

One has to view the sticks from about three timed the distance apart, to give the eye a chance to focus on both sticks.

Best wishes
David

PS Parallel and same height is best!

David C":1clnrmpb said:
Has the chap using the sticks nodded off?

Nah, murdered by his wife. Stabbed in the back with a chisel.
Seems he was spending too much time ignoring her needs and arguing about bloody woodworking nonsense on the internet, again... !!

David C":1cpa0uo3 said:
One has to view the sticks from about three timed the distance apart, to give the eye a chance to focus on both sticks.

Wait. So if I'm checking an 8ft board I'm supposed to be stood 24 feet away from the nearest?

MikeG.":3n53xgr4 said:
....with your binoculars.
Lucky for me, I have an old pair of artillery binos with a right-angled scale reticle - Don't even need winding sticks with that!! :D

Late to the party here but as a fellow beginner I thought I may as well throw my two pence in. I didn't read every page so apologies if I'm repeating earlier posts.

As you're probably aware there are multiple arguments for every kind of plane. I started out with a knackered old No.4 smoother and learnt how to tune it up and get it working well. If I was to do it again I'd get a 5 1/2 but that's beside the point. Learning to get the most out of an old "traditional" plane was really enlightening and the effort paid off, although it did take a while and there things still to learn. The feeling of turning an old plane into something that's yours and then producing a beautiful finish with it is wonderful and it doesn't get old (at least for me). I'm really glad that that's the route I took BUT ...

Further down the road I got a bevel up jack plane and I love it. And I can see why people who get one as their first plane also love it, it's easy to use and produces excellent results. I also didn't notice any difference in sharpening difficulty compared to a 45° bevel down plane, if there is any it's negligible. Although I generally add a small camber to my blades, I haven't yet to my bevel up and so far I have no need to.

The Quangsheng BU jack from Workshop Heaven is brilliant: https://www.workshopheaven.com/quangshe ... plane.html

For what it worth. My 600mm bits of ally to use as winding sticks arrived. Not bad for a tenner. Perfectly aligned and everything.

Now I ahead to put them on at 70ish degrees to the board, stand on one leg 53 feet away to use them, right?

How do I sharpen them?

Back