Router table or spindle moulder?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_Striker

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been considering buying a router table and looking at various options available, do I buy one complete or make one up using parts from the likes of Trend and Axminster.

I have my trusted 1/2 Makita router and a couple of 1/4 inch routers.

I keep getting drawn to the higher end components like at some of the videos on YouTube, but the price really ramps up.

So I’ve started looking at the lower end spindle moulders like the Charnwood W030. It seems to offer everything I was looking for in a router table and if purchased as a package deal represents good value.

Your thoughts please :mrgreen:

Cheers Andy

The Charnwood looks like a nice entry level machine.
It can be used as a router, but manages only 8500 rpms, so no smaller diameter bits.
I'd make a router table from the 1/2" Makita and buy the spindle moulder.

With a sliding table it is quite a versatile machine as a spindle moulder.

Max speed is too low for all but the largest router cutters

Woodford does some very reasonable universal cutters blocks - by universal I mean the type with 2 locating pins. These blocks take the standard range of cutters which are quite reasonable as a starter. For instance square cutters can be used for rebates, not ideal but fine as a start.

Heed the dangers of using spindle moulders, they are machines best used with a power feed really.

Mouldings done with a spindle moulder are likely to be much cleaner and smoother than a router due to the larger cutting circle and more substantial cutters.

What sort of work do you want to do on it?

I have used a 1/2" collet Elu router under a table for 20+ years and this has dealt with the majority of keen DIY use, along with a handful of commissions per year for bespoke joinery and cabinet work.
This has been supplemented with a small Elektra-Beckum TF100 spindle moulder, that I have limited tooling for. Namely a variable groover, rebate block and just 4 or 5 cutter profiles. I have this bolted to a braked castor base with a bag full of shingle in the cabinet base. I usually roll this up against my saw table and it stays put when in use.
With this setup I have seldom had to buy in mouldings.

Colin

I have a n old Makita 1/2" Router mounted underneath an Incra Table to the right of my table saw.
It works a treat, never had the need for anything bigger.
Considered a Spindle Moulder a few times but unable to justify due to the router in table being so good.

G

My limited experience from a couple of years worth of part time professional work is that a heavy duty spindle moulder is more or less mandatory when trying to make a profit.
During that time I outgrew the 2,2 kW spindle moulder that's a part of my rather big combination machine. Therefore I purchased and rebuilt a SCM l'invincibile T160 for when I start up again. It weighs around 1000 kilos and has a 4kW motor and a tilting spindle.
I have also purchased a Jonsered FM-C which is a slightly smaller model. I think it weighs only around 600 or 700 kilos. My intention is to rebuild it too as I rekon I can save setup time by having two of them.

To me s mall light duty spindle moulder seems like a compromize having the disadwantages of both a router table and a spindle moulder. Expensive tooling like a spindle moulder and lack of power and rigidity like a router table.

Very few spindle moulders can be run at a high enough RPM to work well with carbide tipped router cutters. Mainly because one will need expensive angular contact bearings and some sort of oil drip lubrication on a large diametre spindle running at such speeds. Routers overcome this problem by having small diametre bearings

Back