Hanging new gates

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoticbob

Established Member
Reaction score
The gates into my back yard have finally succumbed to wind and weather and need replacing, together with the posts. I've bought new gates (two leaves, each about 5 foot wide by 6 high) but I wasn't confident about hanging them so asked a local contractor for a quote. It came in at £480+VAT for supplying two 4x3 tanalised posts, fixing them to the stone walls (no need to bed them into the ground), supplying hinges and hanging the gates. I was surprised - I thought maybe an afternoon's work for someone who knows what they're doing. But perhaps I'm being naive. Does the quote seem reasonable? Maybe there's more to it than I think.
Rob

There will be a fair bit of weight in those gates,is the stone wall capable of taking the weight of gate plus post , could you possibly anchor the gates directly into the wall if its strong enough. If posts need to go into the ground then i would go for 8" and make sure you ask for class 4 treated posts ,will be a little more expensive but should come with at least 15 year warranty for ground contact.
As to the price imho its way to high as you are supplying everything but two small posts and you need to get a few quotes,

Well, if that was round our way, the South East, I would certainly raise an eyebrow at £480 + VAT.

Mind you, fixings & fittings as described are going to be approaching £100.

But then again, it would probably be a 2 man job and yes, half a day to do it seems fair, but what are they going to do for the rest of the day? I guess they also have bills to pay and it sounds like they might have taken that into account.

Get a couple more quotes, the one you have does sound a bit toppy.

Sounds a bit steep but then imagine, they also have to install some form of locating point in the ground to hold the gates closed - does that include pouring concrete etc to create a solid base?

Also gates of that size will be at least a to man lift, and they have no guarantee that your walls are true so there could be a large amount of back and forth fettling to get them to swing true.

as with everything - get a few quotes and chose the people with the best combination of price and reputation.

OK, thanks, sounds like the quote I've had is indeed high, but maybe not insanely so.
I'm confident that the walls will take the weight because the old gates are a good bit heavier than the new and were hinged on 4x3 softwood posts which were bolted to the walls with a M10 studs set into the stonework - no need for excavating / pouring concrete etc. They've been there a while - the failure is solely due to rot in the posts and gates.
I'll get a couple more quotes, but if they're in the same ballpark I think I attack the job myself - it'll be be a PITA, I'll make mistakes, but I'm retired so my time is cheap....
Thanks again for replies, Rob.

Hi Rob,
Where abouts in the country are you? I might be able to put you in touch with someone if you're near Derbyshire8

Thanks Owen - I am indeed in Derbyshire, Wirksworth, about 4m south of Matlock. Any recommendation gratefully received!
Rob.

I'll get his number for you today mate, He's over in Mansfield but willing to travel, I can't vouch for his gate fitting abilities but he's a landscape gardener so I'm sure he does quite a bit of it. He would be very reasonably priced. If I wasn't so busy I would come help you myself because I'm only in Buxton.

It sounds like the quote is £100 materials + 2 men for a day + profit

Its one of those jobs that is easier with 2 people but doesnt need 2 people working on it all day. Its also a job that probably isnt a whole day but could take longer than expected.

Back