Log out buttons gone..... help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
toolsntat":164v7smz said:
Not sure why you want to logout, other than if you are on a shared computer.

BUT anyway. Click your name in the top right corner and the logout button is in the drop down menu that appears.

I log out of every website that requires me to log in ... except this one, because it did it automatically after so many minutes of non use.
Will have to check & make sure the settings haven't changed.

Brandlin":37x1wtas said:
toolsntat":37x1wtas said:
Not sure why you want to logout, other than if you are on a shared computer.

BUT anyway. Click your name in the top right corner and the logout button is in the drop down menu that appears.
Thanks
So, you never have to log in even though you are now logged out?
Do you know you were logged out now as I right this?
Logging out brings you back to where you left, hence not missing posts you may have interest in when logging back in and using the view new post since last visit option.
Cheers
Andy

toolsntat":3733fygz said:
So, you never have to log in even though you are now logged out?
Do you know you were logged out now as I right this?
Logging out brings you back to where you left, hence not missing posts you may have interest in when logging back in and using the view new post since last visit option.
Cheers
Andy

Correct. I never log out.
The forum software times me out due to inactivity.
So yes I knew i was logged out.
I don't miss ANY posts because I use the "View New Posts" option from the forum drop down menu, and the red star very clearly shows me posts that may have arrived whilst i was away.
If I want to tidy up that page i simply click "Mark Topics Read" on the New Posts page.
I have a bookmark in my browser set to the View New Posts page, so all i do to come to the forum is hit that bookmark. If I am logged out then the forum immediately takes me to the login screen where my details are saved and i just hit the login button.
Much simpler than logging in and out all the time.

As I said. If you are on a shared computer then its much better practice to logout, but if not then i really dont see the need.

Alan

OK sorry, it seems I missed an important section from my writing of the differences between logging out and timing out of the Forum.
Let me try again.
I've read till 13.00
I log out ending my visit.
A post is made at 13.05 offering me personally some really nice info on W.C.L.A.
I log in 3 hours later and do a "view posts since last visit" and up the W.C.L.A. post pops
On the other hand......
You read till 13.00
You go off and forum times you out @13.15 (or whatever it is) ending your visit.
In the 15 mins an important post to you @13.05 is made.
You log in 3 hours later and do a "view posts since last visit" and you only get posts from 13.15
You have no notification of the 13.05 post.
Do you see what I mean ?
Hence me liking the previous "see it, hit it" option previously offered and wondering where it was hiding.
Cheers
Andy

I don't believe thats how it works.

If I go to bed now, and the forum logs me off overnight. When I hit view new posts, its showing me anything posted since my last interaction with the site - NOT since i was logged off.

I've been doing that routinely since the site changed and not missed a post.

If it worked on your logout time then you wouldn't get an updated list of new posts unless you logged off and logged in again. I use the new posts page as my home page for this site and i update it dozens of times and it shows me new posts continually despite being logged in.

Brandlin":3g0m4kph said:
Except thats not how it works.

If I go to bed now, and the forum logs me off overnight. When I hit view new posts, its showing me anything posted since my last interaction with the site - NOT since i was logged off.

I've been doing that routinely since the site changed and not missed a post.

What!! Took me over an hour to pen that useless drivel :shock: :roll: :lol:
Must be a change over improvement then ?
Good to know where it's hiding though 8)
Cheers
Andy

I havent logged out of this forum in almost 4 years. I'm not even sure of my password now.

After a three week holiday with the laptop turned off I came back to find EVERYTHING had changed, but I still didnt need to log in.

I always go to the "unread posts" page. Since the change thats no longer at the top of the page so I have that on my favourites bar.
All I do is click the favourites bar whenever I want to see this forum, and after I have read any post. It also removes posts from the list once I've seen it so the list is always fresh.
But I am getting mighty fed up with saving drafts rather that submitting, thats just counter intuitive.

sunnybob":7a8sxbzr said:
But I am getting mighty fed up with saving drafts rather that submitting, thats just counter intuitive.

Haven't had to save a single draft.

I havent "had" to save a single draft either, i just keep doing it because now its the first button i come to, which on here and other sites was always the "submit" button.

New tricks, old dogs, yeh yeh.
There, I just "saved a draft" again.

Back