Which 2nd hand table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would accept the rebuke with humility.....however the item had disappeared from eBay when I posted my last comment. I would have normally messaged initially to avoid such a transgress but I couldn’t find the messaging system.

I'd say find a DeWalt dw 746 hybrid. It's a great multi purpose saw. Accurate well finished and we'll featured. For instance it takes a partial 5/8 bore dado (18mm) sliding table. Cast iron and murican made. Outfeed table and large side support. Decent extraction.

1000 pounds could buy anything from a plastic benchtop saw to a Wadkin PP or even a secondhand Altendorf f45.

My way of choosing a machine is to measure the available space when taking into account the space taken up by the operator and also other things going on in the workshop. Then I try to find out how much power there is available. Then I try to find out when that type of machine did it's latest significant technological leap forward and whether or not an older machine can be upgraded to moderns standards. Last and not least I check if the floor is strong enough.
Then I buy the most solid and most wellbuilt secondhand machine that fits within those parameters.

Since I started following this system I have only bought good machines. I have over and over again been dissatisfied with the significant amount of labour I have had to put into rebuilding almost every machine. Once I was very upset because my mortiser proved to be a factory prototype which wasn't machined properly and required a huge amount of filing and scraping to correct the errors. I have hated each and every machine until the day it was finished and I could put it to use but after that I have found each and every machine to be a good choice.

Back