which Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonboy2003

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to take up woodturning as a hobby, I have enjoyed butchering wood for some years now and have a reasonable kit. I have studied many hours of videos, read a couple of books and visited a local club which I am about to join and take tutorial courses. My mind is set on turning now, and have been selling off a lot of models that I've made which has given me a reasonably pot for a lathe and associated tools. I would appreciate your comments re my current quandry re choice of lathe, I initially thought that the Record Coronet Herald would be more than ideal as a beginner and is a top quality piece of kit and bang on my budget, but have also been to Axminster and saw their AT1628VS, which I ended up drooling over, more expensive but a cracking looking bit of kit with great specs, affordable in another month or so. My question to you folks is that as a beginner I am going a bit OTT? I do understand that much cheaper options are available to begin with, but I try to buy only once, I don't flit from hobby to hobby willy nilly, so looking for a long term investment. I would appreciate honest advice / opinion. Regards, Tony.

In all fairness, you are asking an impossible question which only time will answer.
Your budget needs to be between £2 - £2.5k for an AT 1628 VS (I have this lathe), + tools, + sharpening, + finishing. If you take to turning, you won't regret it but in two years time you decide it's not for you, then you won't get your money back, until such time as prices have risen - which could be a wait of some years.
Or you could go for a lesser new lathe or even a second hand one to see if you like the hobby. You will still need tools, sharpening equipment & finishing items. By that time you will have gained experience & probably know your upgrade path.

Once you have been on your course you will be in a better position to make a decision, but as I said only time will give an answer.

I was in a similar situation to yourself a couple of years ago and did initially buy a small benchtop lathe from rutlands as a package deal. However I soon wanted to turn large bowls etc which I couldnt due the limitations of the machine. I kept my eye on a well known auction site and after a couple of weeks of looking was able to purchase a myford mystro variable speed lathe with all the attachments plus over two thousand pounds of turning tools, chucks,live centers,jacobs chucks, grinding wheels and sharpening jigs etc, in fact a complete set up from a gent who was no longer interested in the hobby all for less than 1k

Back