A tale of two benches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've refitted my Record vice with some new jaws and with the new bench being positioned against a wall it's a bit awkward to use the full width Veritas vice so I've taken it apart and only used one of the screws to make a new tail vice, I even used the dowel dog from the original.
I did treat myself to a Veritas planning stop, but apart from that the total cost for the new bench was £15 for the piece of Beech for the front skirt so I'd say that was a bit of a bargain!.

Attachments

• DSCF2710.JPG
    DSCF2710.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 490
  • DSCF2711.JPG
    DSCF2711.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 490
  • DSCF2713.JPG
    DSCF2713.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 490
That's a fine looking bench!

Now that you're done. What would you do differently if some felon stole it and you were going to rebuild it? What snags did you hit or miscalculations did you make. Or did it it all just go perfectly?

I wouldn't want to try to steal it, it's a hefty chunk of timber :D
Tbh it wasn't a very demanding job as I already had the base frame and the top was glued up, if I'd have been making from scratch it would have been a lot more daunting. I'm hoping to get plenty of use out of it to make up for the neglect my old one suffered.......

Really like the Veritas planing stop btw, highly recommended!

Pete

Latest posts

Back