Cleaning & repairing sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seb Palmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I took apart, cleaned and rebuilt a small palm-sander yesterday. I was amazed to find that it still worked. This is the first time I've ever done this sort of thing. I'll post a bit more info, e.g. what brand it is, etc., soon.

I've started taking apart another much older sander tonight, a Gotthold Haffner EM 3 (which I've already posted about somewhere on here). This second one is much more of a challenge, as it's much older, and has numerous other issues.

For example, when I took the handle off, a whole load of bits fell out, some clearly broken, and none of which I know the proper location of. And then there's the lowermost bearing, which is off-centre; this has a little hole in it. But I can't see for the life of me how to remove it. So my disassembly has ground to a halt.

I'll try and post a pic - my attempts to do so so far have been unsuccessful - in the hope someone here might be able to help.

Regards

Seb

AF1QipMwuG8U_GVONuKGRBpKdXe_u72PuimDHTS7XkA8

Hmmm!?!? Tried two methods of posting my pic, and neither have worked as far as I can tell. My first attempt is just displaying the image URL (that does at least link to the image), and the second - at least viewed just now on my iPad - simply displays a small text icon saying 'image'... This second attempt was done by cutting and pasting the image URL from google photos, and posting it inbetween the appropriate
coding, as per the 'uploading pics' advice on here... que pasa?

Anyway, if anyone does manage to see/view the pic, which is of the lowermost bearing in the sander, just above the sanding footplate, can they enlighten me as to how to remove it?

The link isn't correct :

"404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know."

fairly sure your photo isn't set to public so we won't be able to see it.

anyways, the bearing is normally pressed on to the shaft, so either a bearing puller (I made a small one for pulling the bearing on a RO sander) or a gentle application of heat.

Hi Novocaine, I thought it might need prying off, and have had a go... I'll have another more determined try. Thanks

Back